The Girl Gang

*Piper Ocampo*

*Piper Ocampo*

When we exited the locker room, I encountered stares coming from all over the room.

Why was this happening to me? Was I bit by the unlucky bug?

Celia and I started walking around the court again and the looks stopped after a few minutes. Everyone went back to their regularly scheduled ignorance.

"What's that about?" I heard Celia say.

"People probably have heard what happened between Liv and me." She nodded her head and shifted side to side awkwardly.

"Yeah, I heard too. I mean, you know I was like right there. But, if you wanted to talk about it I'm available. I got the, you two like the same dude part, but you can elaborate if you want to or not if you don't want to. I just want to be supportive."

I could not tell if she wanted to talk about it for my sake or if it was to be nosey, but I shared a bit. "She's been dating my best friend for a few weeks or months. I guess I didn't realize how I felt about him until he was gone."

"Your best friend left you for some girl."

I nodded, "I've never had a problem with Liv until now. I don't think she even knew I existed. It's like she moved here decided she loves my best friend and despises me. She hates my guts and I didn't do anything to her, but exist."

I looked over to a corner of the gym, where the ball rack was, and Liv and her friends were stretching or something. Some girls walked by us on the side of the court and I could hear them whisper about me.

"Liv is so pissed at her," one of them said.

"I don't think I've even heard her speak before."

They kept walking on past. "People love to talk about other people," Celia stated.

"I concur, but if she had spilled the beans they would be whispering about something else entirely."

"P.E has to be over soon. My legs are killing me," whined Celia after about twenty minutes of walking and talking about anything other than the elephant in a full face of makeup on the other side of the room.

"Yeah," I said flatly.

"Do you think your parents will be cool with Piper and me coming over after school?" I nodded my head, "I believe so and my mom always wants me to have girls over. Probably, because the only person I ever had over was Jay. By the time we got into middle school she was a little weird about me spending all of my time with him."

"Do you think it was for a good reason?" I looked over at her and thought about the question she asked me deeply. Before all of this, I never questioned Jay and I's relationship. Were we too close? Was it a problem to depend on one person for all of your friendship?