Put Things Into Perspective

*Brian Walt-Hillard*

After breakfast, I sauntered up to my room wondering what I had gotten myself into. The blue walls of my room surrounded me as I grabbed some clothes off the top of my dresser that I guess my mom had folded when I wasn't home.

My matching black jogger set and I went into the bathroom across the hall and I took a brisk shower. Walking out of the bathroom and into my room, I threw myself on my bed and started thinking about things I would rather not.

One, that was the first time all week that I didn't cry in the shower. Two, I don't think I can do this. He's going to be there and if I go, I can't avoid him. I have a class with him, I have classes with her. How am I supposed to see either one of them and act normal?

Maybe I can skip. No, Dennis will rat me out. Mom has that meeting today, so she'll be out of the house. God, I can't do that. She's driving me to school. I know her; she'll be waiting outside the school to make sure we get in safely.

I'm so screwed. Oh, I'm screwed. Why did I even say that? She would have let me stay home and let me watch movies all day or –. Then, there was a knock on my door.

"Who is it?" I could feel the anticipation rising.

"It's just me sweetheart." Oh, yeah... exactly who I want it to be.

"It's open," I flatly said sitting up and crossing my legs under me. She walked in and graced me with her sweet smile. "Hi, I... are you sure about going to school today, baby?"

I nodded yes for some reason. "Don't worry about me mom, just try to have a good day. I know you got a lot going on."

Sitting beside me, she mused, "You don't need to worry about that either. I have good faith that everything will work out."

I nodded, ever since I overheard her talking to her lawyer the seriousness of the whole situation really dawned on me. "Is it the lawyer meeting?" I inquired looking down at my off black joggers.

"Yes, it's just procedural things. Nothing too deep, love." I know she doesn't believe that. This all makes it official: the divorce, custody battle, and everything in between.

Despite this, I contributed, "Yes ma'am, I completely understand."

She leaned over and faintly pecked my forehead, "I love you. Have a great day, okay." A soft smile crept onto my face, "Okay, love you too."

I finished getting ready, walked down the stairs and was greeted with my mom and brother standing by the door.
"I see you finally decided to join us. I thought you got cold feet," Dennis pestered, not making direct eye contact with me.

"No, I'm wearing socks and have very warm feet, thank you."

My mom laughed a tad, "You wouldn't have warm feet if you had to walk in the snow today. Let's go."