One.

TW — Rape is briefly mentioned in this chapter. I've had a couple of comments regarding how clothes shouldn't affect this situation, but don't forget that this is a completely different world from ours today.

The mention is referring to the struggle of living in Mara's world, and that unfortunately the government does nothing to stop these kinds of attacks from happening. If you want the paragraph removed, please let me know. :)

______

______

"Alex, hand me that wrench over there, would you?"

The sound of a piece of metal being thrown rang in my ear. Turning swiftly, I caught it in midair being sure to thank him.

Today was like any other day in the junkyard. Searching for valuable parts and materials is what we did, in hopes of making even the smallest of profits off of it. There was no tougher business in the entire world compared to what we did—other than sewer jobs and garbage duty, of course. We didn't get an official pay. We'd get paid when we turned reusable parts into the part store just around the block. But the owner wasn't very generous. Even if we turned in valuable parts, the pay would only buy dinner for two nights.

Alex and I had been best friends since day one. When my parents passed away, I became an orphan. I found refuge here in the junkyard. And by the age of seven I had known nothing but how to find the best mechanical parts from rusty ships. Sixteen years had passed from that day forward, yet I had still managed to move on with my life while keeping my parents close to my heart.

I was homeless, and so was Alex. Together we created a small shelter just outside of the junkyard where we ate whatever dumpster scraps we could find and showered in the nearby river.

We live in Sector 42. Well, the outskirts of it, at least. Decades ago when American democracy fell, the United States were no longer 'states.' An evil group called The Plague took over. Menacing and relentless, the terrorist organization wouldn't stop until they got what they wanted. The so-called "land of the free" would lose millions of people and cities in the process.

To govern the people more enforcingly, the Plague divided our cities and states into different zones called sectors, each with small governments that would be overseen by the Capitol. And the Capitol... they were the real bad guys.

Corrupted with bribery, the Capitol didn't give a damn about the people living in the sectors. All they did was drink scotch and smoke cigars until the day their lungs finally gave out.

As horrid as our government was, it hasn't affected Alex and I as much as it should. We know the Plague isn't going to fall anytime soon, especially if peasants like us were to rebel. They could kill us with the snap of a finger.

Alex, my best friend, is mute. I have never heard his backstory as to why, but it must have been so horrendous, that it had scarred him for life.

Life wasn't easy in our sector. Alex and I would often have to fight off people of all genders to protect our little possessions and well-being.