Eighteen.

I could hear nothing but the wind blowing against our airship, as me and a few other soldiers were being transported to the battlefield.

Last night went by in a complete blur, as I couldn't sleep for the long hours before the battle today. I was away from the reaches of the base. Away from Priscilla, and heading to a zone where the Plague could potentially capture me and claim me as their own.

It was dead silent within the ship. Occasionally a lump of turbulence would knock me out of my trance, but otherwise I was a nervous wreck the entire time. I could sense it in the soldiers next to me as well.

Elaine and I had said our goodbyes following the planning meeting at the base. I was sure to hug her tight, because I didn't know if I was going to come back okay. As much as she told me I would return, I still was doubtful.

I kept running the battle strategy over and over again in my head. Wes had spoken wise words to us last night. While this may not be a very significant battle, the small victory would get us much needed supplies for the Rebels. The extra firepower would boost their weaponry and hopefully take out some key Plague points in the country.

"Say, you're the hero mutant, aren't ya?" An older man questions from across my position. Everyone including me looks at him, his accented voice shredding the looming silence. I nod, giving him a small smile and he laughs. "I could tell. There's enough armor on you only to stop a damn mosquito bite!" He jokes, which gets me and a couple of the men laughing.

He was correct. I was wearing military boots, some cargo pants, a tan long-sleeved shirt along with a light, bulletproof vest above it. I was extremely out of place with the men next to me wearing full metallic armor that could prevent third degree burns.

"Wes really sent me on a suicide mission, I guess," I say jokingly causing a few more rounds of chuckles. The silence falls upon us once more as the pilot gives us a three-minute warning.

"Well," the man says across from me. "If I go down, at least I can say I went down fighting with a superhero in heaven." He fiddles with a golden cross necklace just below his armor, and my eyes widen.

"Hey," I say reassuringly. "As long as I'm here, they have no interest in killing you. I'll be surprised if I make it out all in one piece by the end of this, to be frank. You guys are some of the most skilled fighters out there. For crying out loud, can take a whole ship down if you put your heart's to it! Don't ever think that negatively of yourself."

"One minute till landing!" The shrill voice of the captain says through our earpieces making us cringe. Out our small window, we were about to land in a secluded, grassy field miles away from the nearest city district.

"Thank you," the man across from me says. "Thank you for fighting for our cause." He pauses, lowering his voice slightly. "My wife was a mutant," he softly whispers. "She had no damn idea either. The Plague had showed up at her workplace to do them check things, and she was immediately taken away. A guard came to my door later that night," he pauses, unsure if he could finish. "He said that my wife was an impurity to our civilization. And the audacity... I wanted to shoot him down right there. That's why I'm here today. I'm fightin' for my wife who's watching us from above, and she'd be hella proud of you for everything you've done."

My heart seemed to melt as I had gotten so lost in the story, I didn't notice the back door had opened. I nod solemnly to him, thanking him back for fighting.

And with one leap out of the metal ship, the soft, earthy field hit my feet.

I was instantly in love. Being cooped up in that metal, underground base for two months was horrible. It was like a dream come true, breathing the fresh earthy air once more.