Thirty-eight.

Hey gang! When the topic of religion comes up in books, I usually find lots of arguments in the comment section. Elaine is very religious. Please respect beliefs of others, even if they have different opinions than you!❤️
__________

ELAINE

Wednesday

"God, I know you're up there," I whisper alone in my room, clutching onto the cross necklace my grandmother gave me before she passed away. "And I just wanted to say, thank you lord for all that you've given me in my life. Thank you for the Rebels, thank you for my friends, and most importantly thank you for giving this land to us. I know I don't pray as much as I should anymore, but this is my first request from you in... a long time. If you're listening right now, I hope you'll be on our side in the next couple days. And if something were to go wrong, I hope to be by your side at the end of it all. I—"

"Project Runaway is ready to be carried out, captain," A static voice rings in my earpiece, interrupting my prayer. "Our airships are locked and loaded, and transport ships are full to the brim with resources. Now all that's left is the people."

"Good," I say in response. "Have we got eyes on Wes?"

"He is currently sleeping in his chambers—except his generals are wide awake in the command room. Luckily we have a tech genius who is playing the feedback of yesterday's activity on their surveillance screens."

I begin walking out of my room, checking the hallways for any suspicious activity before going towards the air hangar where our transport ships awaited.

"Let our army know we have a five minute loading period before our suspicious activity is alerted. We must move fast and stealthily. I hope to see you in an hour, commander."

"You as well, Elaine."

The connection between our earpieces is shut off. Now I had microphone access to the entire army of over three thousand, as they were all standing by waiting for command.

"Alright, people. You know where to go and what to do," I say into my microphone, my voice broadcasting to everyone. "Pilots, start your engines. Air fighters, get to your single-seaters and follow Command Ship C from behind."

Suddenly, crowds begin entering the air hangar in the hundreds, filling up the large ships to the maximum. A sense of pride suddenly fills my chest, but I couldn't put a finger on it as to where it came from. Maybe it was because we were free once more. Maybe because we didn't have to survive under Wes' horrible rule anymore. We wouldn't have to walk the same halls that disgusting man would everyday—and it felt liberating.

The lead command ship took off, and the small single-seater ships that had loaded up already follow close behind. Our transport ships began to take off as well, with ground soldiers and ammunition loaded in them to the maximum.

I wasn't sure if Mara knew this yet. But there were other Rebel stations located throughout the entire country with the same ambitions as us. They would all be meeting in Sector 50 with us today, one sector over from the Capitol to discuss plans and battle strategies in order to kick some Plague butt. Many of those armies were larger than our 3,000 army count.

This battle isn't going to be easy. While it might be a surprise attack, the Capitol has well-developed technology that can detect us coming from miles away. They will have an elite army of thousands too. But we were ready for anything.

As the final crowds begin to fill the transport ships, I begin to walk over to the command ship I was stationed in as well. Five minutes had passed, and suspicions would be raised sooner or later.