Twenty-one.

MARA

Nothing but anger towards Hudson surged through my veins at the moment. He always found a way to nag at my softest spots, and it was very annoying.

My sword was out in front of me in attack position as I challenged Hudson to an old-fashioned fight—sword style.

His eyes remained neutral as they always did, yet I could've sworn I saw a hint of what looked like admiration? Or maybe a glimmer of good in him? Either way, he was about to get his ass crushed.

And for the first time, I hear him laugh. A sweet sound, one like honey to the ears. I couldn't believe it. Was he laughing at me?

"Look at you, so determined. So small," he says pulling out his sword from his belt buckle. He twirls it around his fingers trying to show off, but failing miserably in my opinion.

"Is that what your first hookup said when she first saw you in bed?" I question and give him a devilish smile.

His eyebrows raise, impressed with my comeback. We were now circling each other in attack position. I was determined, while he was more laid back and chill. He wanted to kill me, it was his order. So why wasn't he making a move?

"I know," Hudson says, his mind reading the confusion in my eyes. "This might not be the fight you're expecting. But I'm not going to hurt you. I can't."

I raise an eyebrow, making the first move at him by swinging my sword horizontally, aiming for his side. He easily deflects the swing by holding his sword vertically. He dodges effortlessly. I can already tell he is an accomplished sword fighter.

"Why can't you hurt me?" I question, annoyed. I was getting ticked off at him now. My blood boiled, I wanted to fight him fair and square yet he wouldn't fight back.

My swings were getting weak. Over and over again I tried to come at him at different angles, swinging my sword every which way. But each time he deflected them, as he analyzed my moves carefully.

"The real question is, why can't you hurt me?" Hudson questions, making me stop in my stance. "Sword fighting isn't your thing. You're weak, and it's as simple as that."

My fists clench around my sword base.

"You'll never be as strong as your parents, Mara," he continues. "All of their hopes and dreams of you living up to them have disappeared, all because she can't hurt the big, bad wolf standing in front of her."

His words hit me hard as a stupid smirk remains on his face. Maybe part of him was right, I realized as a heavy weight of sadness dawned upon me. I am weak, and I wouldn't ever be able to live up to my parents.

Then, a new surge of emotion covered my sadness like a blanket; determination. He was getting into my head by trying to point out my weak spots, and now he had officially pissed me off. I close my eyes and reopen them, taking in everything around me as my inner strength taps in. I could feel every blade of grass drifting with the wind, faint birds in the distance, and even Hudson's heartbeat straight through his chest.

For a moment, I could've sworn I saw a flicker of shock in Hudson's eyes. Re-gripping my sword, I was a whole other person ready for battle this time.

And he could sense it too.

In his hand, I noticed him grip onto his sword tightly, finally getting into battle position as his lazy self was no more. We were each about ten feet apart now, as I make the first move by propelling myself towards him with my strength.

And suddenly, our swords clash creating a sound that probably echoed for miles. My sword crashed on top of his as he deflected my hit.

Hudson's sword was still in midair from deflecting my swing earlier, and using this to my advantage I go low and aim for his ankles. Seeing my move coming from miles away, he simply jumps over the metal as if it were no big deal. We stop and circle each other for a moment, his sword dragging onto the dirt while I held mine out.