Twenty-three.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE SUPPORT YOU'RE GIVING THIS BOOK!🥺 Love you all so much.❤️

________

________

I hardly got sleep that night. Or any night after that. But that wasn't new.

And now we're back to the reality TV show of 'Living with Mara', depressing edition.

Three days had passed since I had seen Hudson. I let him rest. But as much as he needed it, I wanted for him to appear so that I could heal him. I've considered the outcomes — healing is a power that requires almost all of my energy. And even healing Hudson's minor cut the other day was enough to take my legs out.

"Mara!" A voice called out to me, as I sat in bed lifelessly staring at the wall. I jump and turn to see Elaine there waiving her arms, her attempting to sap me out of my trance. "Girl, you have been cooped up in this room for three days now! I don't care what happened on that battlefield or what has gotten into your head, but you need to do something." She waves her arms around for emphasis.

I groan, pulling my blanket over my head not wanting to go anywhere. "Elaine, it's not even 8 in the morning!" I complain.

"Get your lazy ass out of bed, or so help me I'll do it myself," she urges. "It's 2 o'clock in the afternoon! Laying in bed isn't good for a powerful girl like you."

She then rips the covers clean off my bed, replacing the warm blankets with an unsettling, chilly feeling. The audacity of this woman!

"Elaine," I groan. "Give it back," I say reaching my arm out blindly, but she uses that to her advantage by pulling me out of bed and dragging me onto the ground.

We all know someone with a crazy laugh, right? That one, dumb stupid laugh that was extremely contagious in a room full of people. Well, Elaine had a laugh that sounded specifically like this; a hyena mixed with a swimmer trying to inhale as much air as possible before swimming four laps.

Her laugh made me laugh, as tears start rolling down my face as Elaine struggled to breathe as well.

"Mara, you seriously need a hairbrush." She pulls out her phone and snaps a picture of my head. "Look at this hair! You've got rats living in there. Go get dressed!"

So I finally follow her orders, as I throw on a hoodie and a pair of sweatpants from her dresser. I meet her out in the hallway, and she greets me with a grin as I begin to follow her through the long hallways.

"As your knight in shining armor, I thought you could use a bit of cheering up," she says as she picks up her pace. "I rented out the entire gaming room for only you, Priscilla and I to have a chill day!" She claps excitedly, and I wonder to myself how many coffee's Elaine had this morning.