Twenty-Eight.

Sorry for switching POV's so much! Also... it's been a while since I've posted! Enjoy this corny chapter. :')))

MARA

As I slowly woke up, I felt a pair of arms wrapped around me while my eyes open.

I turn my head slightly looking up, momentarily blinded by the sun as I see Hudson's face come into view. He looks down to me as I try to shift in his arms, but he only clings on tighter giving me a small smile.

"Let me walk on my own, you fish head," I mumble slapping him on his shoulder, but he refuses.

"No." He simply keeps walking, as a small door comes into view. The air around us is much more chillier than where we were before, as the sky was a vibrant blue with spots of clouds. The usual view of city skylines weren't there, as we were surrounded by flat land, and what looked like mountains. Never in my life had I been to a mountain terrain... nor a place this gorgeous.

"We're in the Adirondack mountains, just enough distance from the Capitol that we need. You'll love it here, I promise," he says to me as I still struggle to get out of his arms but he won't let me.

Hudson takes me through the small door that looked extremely run down, as if this place hadn't been used in years and was eroding away in the acid rain. As soon as we entered, I expected to smell a musty type of smell, but instead inhaled the scent of fresh lavender. Walking down a set of stairs, I realized that this was an underground house instead of an above-ground house. We were safe.

Finally, Hudson put me down as we both take a look around the place.

It was dark and desolate. But at the same time, it was the most gorgeous complex I had ever seen. While the furniture gave off a vibe more around last decade's style, it could still win countless decoration awards.

"Welcome back, Mr. and Mrs. DeMont," a robotic voice says from behind me making me jump. A small cleaning robot hovers slightly from above the ground, as now I realize how the place was so clean. "It has been a while since I have seen you both."

Everything seemed to make sense now. This house belonged to Hudson's parents years ago, and had been neglected ever since their deaths. This robot had been cleaning this house alone for the past 16 years.

"We'll have to change the programming on that." Hudson sheepishly smiles, while rubbing the back of his neck awkwardly.

My fingers trace the smooth fabric of the couches, as I immediately run over to the window to check out the view. And boy, was it freaking amazing.

We were in a mountain range for sure, because the open wall window was just above a cliff two hundred feet in the air. The sun was just beginning to set under the horizon as I take in the first sunset I had seen in months.

"This is gorgeous," I whisper, turning to Hudson as I could sense him walking up behind me. "It's such a shame nobody lives here anymore."

"This used to be my parent's vacation home, actually. Every two weeks in the winter they would come to watch the snow fall and celebrate Christmas with Priscilla, and watch the sunsets, just like we're doing right now," Hudson recollects, looking in the horizon, his eyes big with remembrance of two people that he lost in his life.