Twenty-six.

Hudson stood there with a surprised face as he inspected me closely.

Looking around, we were in some kind of exercise room. Beads of sweat ran down his face as his fists were swollen and clenched from punching the 300-pound bag in front of him. His black, short-sleeved shirt hugged his arm muscles tightly. He was alone—which only made the situation ten times more awkward. In the corner lied his helmet.

Didn't I throw my sword through it just a few days ago?

I couldn't come up with anything to say. What was I supposed to do, beg for him to come rescue us by saying the Rebels were bad?

"Mara, are you alright?" He asks abandoning his spot and walking towards me. I couldn't help but notice a sense of worry in his voice. He could probably feel the fear radiating off of me.

"I-I..." I start off, his close proximity already rendering me speechless. Jeez, if he ever rescued us in person, then I would have to get used to seeing him look this... good-looking. I have to regroup myself in order to focus. "They killed our parents, Hudson," I whisper.

He looks confused momentarily. "What do you mean? Who killed our parents?"

"Wes. The leader of the Rebels. He was the one in the ship with the star label on it. I was doing some snooping that... I shouldn't have been doing, and came across one of the old ships in an enclosed room. Priscilla and I are currently trapped in a bedroom because Wes has sent guards after us." My eyes were desperate. "Please Hudson, we need your help escaping this place, or else they're going to kill us," I say softly at the end, hoping my plea was enough to convince him.

"I need to see where your location is," he demands quickly to me. I hadn't noticed it before, but Hudson's eyes were swirling red. Was he... angry? "The bond won't let me access memories that you don't want to think about."

I hesitate. "How will I know I can trust you?" I whisper, fear evident in my eyes. "You could bring your fleet and destroy our base, for all I know. I—"

"Mara." He sighs, interrupting. "I know you don't trust me. I also know that gaining your trust will take time. But leaving this building without Capitol permission... I'm risking my life just to come and rescue you two. God, I wish I could tell you how many tracking devices I have to—"

"Okay, okay," I laugh. "I get it, silly boy." I smile.

So, I thought of the sights I saw as I came home from the night of the battle. We were just outside of Sector 40 actually, and the Plague Capitol was in Sector 52. An airship ride from the Plague to the Rebel base could take as little as 15 minutes.

"I'll be there in 4 minutes and 37 seconds. Set a timer on your watch. I'll be waiting outside in a far exit." I wasn't sure if his fists were clenched because he had just finished a workout session, or if he was angry at me. "If they lay one goddamn hand on you Mara, I'll kill Wes with my bare hands."

He begins to put on his armor once more, including his helmet as I watched him, with a stunned expression. Never had I heard Hudson care that much for a person.

He begins to walk towards me with a sly expression on his face, while I probably looked like a love struck, hopeless puppy.

His tall figure looms over me, his face just feet away from my own as his blue eyes analyze me. "Excuse me, Mara, but I have a girl I have to pick up," he brushes a strand of hair out of my face making my heart warm. "And you, my lady should be helping my grandmother fight those son of a guns. So if you don't mind moving out of my way, I have a four minute and 37-second schedule to keep here."