Chapter 5

I awoke to the scent of pancakes and eggs. I sat up in my bed, just sitting staring at the four walls that contained me. They were filled with paintings and posters that gave me comfort and happiness when I needed it. Yet, right now I had the urge to rip them all down to burn, watching them turn into ashes.

Slowly I lifted my aching body from the bed. Walking home wasn't the best ideal, but laying in bed all day being depressed does nothing for me. And I have to find Rade. He doesn't take situations like these well. My stomach grumbled and I sighed. So I began to follow the scent of food in the kitchen and I spotted Rade sitting at the counter..... And Camren.

The relief I felt was overwhelming. Heated tears sprung to my eyes as I captured her in a tight embrace causing her to whimper lowly. Instantly, I let go and grasped as I examined her. Her face was burdened with a black eye that I assume she got last night. And bits of copper skin I could see was decorated with bruises. Words would fail to comfort her. So instead I lifted her lowered head and kissed her swollen left eye. I pulled back to see her eyes filled with glistening tears.

I wasn't going to ask what happened. I never have and I never will ask. She will tell me if she wants, if she can. Rade gets up and leaves out the kitchen.

"You guys always get so upset when you see me like this." She murmured as she fixed plates.

"That's because your pain is our pain. We love y-you." I whispered with a swollen throat as I tried to control my tears.

"I know that. But this is something I won't have to deal with for long. I know it hurts him to see this, but he has to calm down. He already has enough going on."

"We are all going through a lot. You know how we feel about you specifically though." I whispered.

"I know. Can you please go talk to him. I cooked for a reason and I know you can make him feel much better versus me." She said with a small smile.

"What are you talkin-"

"Don't be so oblivious Ty. Just go talk to him and hurry back. The food will get cold." She said waving me off as she started to clean the dirty dishes.

I made my way back to my bedroom. As I walked in, I could see him holding his head in his hands. I sat in the chair I pulled in front of him and lifted his head.

I ignored the piercing stab to my heart from the sight of his tears that he quickly tried to hide from me. I began to feel my own eyes tears gather as I swiped them away.

"Why does she act so nonchalant about it? Why does her mom not do anything? It's not fucking fair. She could possibly end up fucking dead if he goes too far. It's not healthy to just let things go like that."

"You know how she is and your right. But that's why she has us. We will help her, but for right now, you come on down and eat."

"I'm not hungry." He muttered.

"You know she gets offended when you say that because your fat ass is always hungry." I said. And he gave me a small smile.

*******

The sun was setting and Camren was already knocked out in my bed. Rade and I were still down stairs. We were seated on the floor wrapped in covers with popcorn, wings and pizza on the table watching scary movies. The last couple of days has been hell, yet a simple night like this with them were all I need to feel better.

"Oh my fucking God!" I cried as I tried to hold back my tears.

"What's wrong princess?" Rade said concerned as he looked around trying to find the source of my outrage.