Chapter 13

Camren POV

School was out and the thought of going home was sickening. No excuse me, that place is my hell. Being mentally and physically abused was far more suitable in hell. Yet, it was a hell I was willing to endure for as long as needed. I do this for my baby sister, Maddy. Things will get better. My hell will be coming to an end soon. I keep saying that to myself hoping, praying that I'm right. Yet, hoping hasn't gotten me very far.

I opened the door to the hell that had my mind screaming for me to make my escape now. Immediately I was on guard, as my body tensed awaiting any attack. No attack came, yet I would never allow myself to be comfortable here. Never again.

"Camren is that you?" I heard that woman call out to me. I looked up to see a tall woman enter the front room. Her natural hair was cut short from all the hair loss she had experienced from stress. She held no meat on her bones making her appear sick, like she has starved herself. Her copper skin held permanent scars that she tried hard to hide, yet was damn near impossible. Especially since she had a horrific scar that ran from the top of her left dark brown eye down to the bags underneath it from the lack of sleep.

Sometimes I felt the urge to run up to her and comfort her. I wanted to be there for this woman even though she didn't deserve my love and sympathy. I wanted to give her all the love and affection that she was missing and so desperately needed. I wanted to be this woman's savior. I wanted to give her a happy ending.

Yet, there was this other side of me. That side of me said " Fuck You!". That side of me didn't care for her well being because she could give less of a fuck about her own daughters well being. That side of me didn't care if she rotted away and died by the hands of a sorry excuse for a man. She deserved it. She deserved everything she got and everything she will get.

"Where is Maddy?" I questioned. Usually she'll be waiting for me after I got home from school. Yet, here I stood upright not being tackled right now.

"She has been in her room packing to go over her aunts house." I nodded relieved. I just wished that I could send her to live with our Aunt Cathy but I can't ask that of her. She has three kids to take care of herself. Although, I am grateful for when she allows Maddy over there. She feeds her, drops her off at school, and loves and protects her. That's all I could ever ask for. Now that I know that my sister will be safe for the next couple of days I can leave myself.

I began to make my way down the hall to my sisters room when suddenly I heard the front door being slammed opened. The sound frightened me because I knew what that meant.   My mother knew what that meant, yet she stayed with this man and will continue to stay with this man. That was her choice and my choice was to protect Maddy. So I went into my sisters room locking it.

"Cam! You're home." I felt small arms wrap around my legs. I looked down to see this little girl with a hug beautiful smile on her face. Her tight long curls covered her right eye. I saw a younger version of me. A version of me that was oblivious to how fucked up things were. An innocent version of me who was spared from the abuse and lies. I wanted her to stay like that. I would do anything for her to stay like that.

I lowered my self onto my knees to give her a proper hug and a kiss. My body protested in pain but I ignored it.

"I'm about to call Aunt Cathy to see where she is at." I told her as I motioned for her to play with her toys. I pulled out my phone to call my aunt once my sister ran off. It rang twice before she picked up. I let her know what was about to happen.

"Ok baby I'm right around the corner. You sure you don't want to come with me?" She asked for the millionth time. I smiled a sad smile.

"I'm sure. Thanks." I hung up and I distracted Maddy as the crashing, banging, and muffled cries filled the house. My sister looked up at me with those beautiful brown eyes that displayed such sadness.