Chapter 8

~Kai's POV~

Camden is so cute it's driving me crazy. I acted like nothing happened after that, but in reality my heart was racing. Camden is by no means an outspoken, brash person, yet he dumped a soda on my ex's head and even spoke out for me. 

Whenever I thought about how hard that must have been for someone like him, it made me blush a little, and my heart pound. Imogen was the first girl I ever dated, and the last. I soon realized that I was gay, and dated only guys after her. It was years ago that I dated Imogen, freshman year in fact. But every time she breaks up with up someone, I get the brunt of her grief. 

I sighed, rubbing my eyes.

"Kai!" Derek shouted right next to my ear, and I jumped as the final bell rang at the exact same time. I gave him a harsh glare, and he laughed. 

"I hate you, you shit stick." I said. 

"Don't call me a shit stick you uncouth bastard. C'mon, didn't you mention earlier you needed help at your part-time job? I called my ma and got the OK." He said as we walked out of the classroom to meet with Camden. He doesn't have his last period with us, so we always meet up afterwards. 

For some reason, the thought of seeing him made my stomach tighten with some unidentifiable emotion. Ah man. 

Derek mumbled something beside me, and I looked at him curiously. "What?" I asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion. 

"HA! I said bitch say what, so you're a bitch. Bitch." He cackled, and I punched him in the side. 

"You just said what, too! So now you're a bitch!" 

"Bitch say what?!" He shouted, jumping me and putting me in a headlock. "Say-it-to-mah-face!" 

"I did! Ow, get off me you butt hole engineer!" I cried, poking him in the forehead. 

"Butt hole engineer?! That's you!" 

"W-What are you guys doing?" We paused as Camden came up to us, smiling a little at our antics. 

I shoved Derek off me and grinned down at Camden, even though my heart jumped at the sight of him. "Cam! Just the guy I wanted to see. Are you ready to screw the pooch?" I asked enthusiastically, and Camden blanched. 

"A-Am I ready to do w-what?" He asked, looking incredibly startled. 

"Idiot!" Derek snapped, whacking me over the head. "That was so completely stupid in every damn way. He means to work at the pet store with him, like he mentioned at lunch." 

I rubbed my head, smiling at a relieved looking Camden. "O-Oh, I see. Then yes, I should be able t-to."  Camden said, adjusting his book bag.  

"Great! We can take your car, right Cam?" I asked, leaning over quite a ways to put my elbow on his shoulder. 

"Yeah, o-of course!" He said, smiling up at me. My heart thudded in my chest. Oh, god. He's just so-

"Kai, you damn swindler. Don't just offer up to take a car that ain't yours. Are you gonna pay for his gas, moron?" Derek said, pulling me away from Camden by my ear. 

"Owowowouch! Yes, yes, gosh! I was planning to!" I cried, and he let go of my ear. I pouted, rubbing it and Camden patted my arm reassuringly, letting me know he didn't mind. 

"Well," I said, sighing. "We should probably get going then. I mean, the shift starts in a half-hour, but by car it takes about twenty minutes to get there so-"

"IDIOT!" Derek shouted, which seemed to trigger us and we all began to run. My bad.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~