Chapter 14

***Cam's POV***

When I got to the lockers, I spotted Derek and Kai talking to each other. A bit of relief spread through me. At least they're not fighting anymore. I went up to them, but neither seemed to notice me as they spoke heatedly about something. 

"Derek, you annoying fucktard. It's pronounced GIF! Like gift, without the 't' in it!" Kai snapped, crossing his arms. 

"You ignorant bitch. There was an article! The actual correct pronunciation is JIF! Like um, like...what the Helsinki has jif in it?" Derek paused, furrowing his eyebrows. 

"HA! Exactly, you uncultured swine. And I don't care who or what says it's pronounced JIF, i'm calling it GIF!" Kai exclaimed with an air of finality. 

Derek opened his mouth again but I cleared my throat, knowing this could go on forever. I've seen it. "U-Uhm, guys...?" I interjected. 

Both pairs of eyes snapped to me, just noticing my presence. "Oh hey, Cam! How good to see you! In fact, I think there was something of importance Kai here wanted to speak with you about. Isn't that right, Kai?" Derek said, slapping Kai's shoulder roughly. 

Kai winced, shoving Derek. "No. Shut up Derek. Hi, Cam." Kai said, not meeting my eyes. Oh, i'm gonna fix that. My heart raced thinking about it, but I took a deep breath. 

"B-But I have something to talk to you about." I stammered hastily, before I could chicken out. Derek and Kai raised their eyebrows in unison, making me blush as all the focus was directed to me. "W-We can just talk when we walk home together! We still can, r-right?" I asked, looking up at him worriedly, wringing my hands together. Please say yes, i'm losing confidence!

"Kai, if you say no to that face, you're a monster." Derek said bluntly. Kai exhaled through his nose in irritation at Derek, but when he turned to me his eyes were soft, though conflicted. 

"Sure, of course we can. C'mon, let's go. Derek has been grossing me out all day." Kai said, casting Derek a distasteful look over his shoulder. I giggled as Derek squinted at Kai in annoyance. 

"Bitch." Derek muttered. I looked back, and Derek cast me a wink and two thumbs up, grinning wickedly. I felt the blush heat my face, and turned around. He has no idea. 

Kai walked me to my locker, where I got my stuff while stealing glances of him out of the corner of my eye. He leaned against the lockers next to me, staring down at the ground. My chest ached as I wondered what he thought about. I hope he isn't thinking about what Todd said. 

I shut my locker and put my backpack on, and off we went. Kai had his things all ready, so we began to walk home together. He was usually so chatty, he would provide eighty percent of the conversations we had on our way to school. When I had my car, he wouldn't let me give him rides home because he said he felt like a 'moocher'. 

I tried to tell him that it didn't have any effect on gas because it was on my way home, but he didn't listen. Typical Kai. I looked up at his face, which was focused ahead with a thoughtful expression.

When we got about halfway to his house near some trees that ran along a wall, separated from the sidewalk by a short wall that ran up to my ankle, I pulled on Kai's sleeve to stop him. 

My heart thudded in my chest as he looked down at me, his eyes as gray and enchanting as ever. Hopefully I can change the emotion that fills them right now. 

"Cam? You wanna talk now?" He asked, and I nodded. Oh gosh. Are my ears red? I feel like they are probably definitely red.

"U-U-Uhm...actually, sit down first!" I shouted, standing on my tip-toes so I could push on the tops of his shoulders, making him sit on the short wall behind him. I puffed up my cheeks, filling my lungs with air to take the deepest breath I could.

"Wha-? Okay, you little weirdo. Out with it. What's up?" Kai questioned, looking like he was trying not to laugh. I exhaled with a huff, and forcing myself not to think too much, I spoke. 

"Okay, so I talked to Todd today, and I wasn't prying I s-s-swear! But I ended up paying him for information-oh gosh i'm s-so sorry that sounds way more awful out loud-but he told me what h-h-happened, and I want to tell you so many things, like how wrong you are about the way you think of yourself, and that you're wrong about how you think I feel, you are an empowering, passionate, amazing person and friend and you deserve the world, b-but I don't know how to give you the world nor do I know how to properly say what I should, so if you'll take what I have, maybe I can show you." I trembled, my heart pumping a million miles and hour now. 

Before Kai's awed, bewildered face could react, I summoned any ounce of courage I ever had, wrapped my arms gently but abruptly around Kai's neck and pressed my lips to his.

My heart pounded at a million miles per hour, but Kai's lips were soft, yielding. I always figured that'd be my role. He tasted like oranges, and honey, and he smelled like home just like he always did. I couldn't explain it, but Kai was like everyone and everywhere I had dreamed of all in one person-my everything. 

I pulled away slowly, our lips disconnecting with a shaky exhale on my part. Kai's hands were on my waist. When did that happen? I cautiously looked at Kai's face, and immediately felt my face heat up-more so than it all ready had to be. 

He looked at me with that same awed expression, mixed with curiosity, fulfillment and energy. "Cam, you..." Kai trailed off, staring up at me, a thousand indecipherable thoughts reflecting in his eyes. 

"I-I had to show you...what you mean to me. S-So you wouldn't misunderstand. I'm n-not like all the others, not that i'm b-better than them, but would it be so bad with me? I know you've been h-hurt, so I won't ask much. I just...want you. It's selfish, but I won't break my promises or w-waste your time. If you have any left, can I ask f-for a chance? It's the o-only one i'll need. I promise." I said shyly, looking down. I met his eyes as I spoke, but I could hardly handle the intensity of them. I might explode. 

"Cam?" I heard Kai breathe quietly, his hand moving from my waist to the side of my face. I looked back at him, surprised to see his eyes looked ever so slightly watery. 

"Y-Yeah?" I replied, covering his hand with mine. He stood up, holding my face in both hands now. 

"I don't need the world if I have you." He whispered, and for the second-and hopefully not the last-time, Kai's soft lips were pressed to mine.

----------*3*----------