Chapter 12

I pouted as I waited outside my house for Cam to arrive. I really did not want to go to school today, and was planning on texting Cam telling him that I had fallen ill or something. But my demon spawn sisters dragged me out of bed and forced me to get dressed. 

Friggin' harpies! Don't they know it's healthy to play hookie every now and again? With a huff, I felt my mood lighten as I spotted Cam walking down the road. I instantly backpedaled and my smile vanished.

What if he realizes how useless I am? What if he realizes how much better he could do than me? I'm not ready to-I can't just act like i'm worth his time. I'm such a fraud. 

"G-Good morning, Kai. How are you?" Camden asked as he walked up, his words holding more meaning than they let on. The implication that he wanted to know how yesterday went was painfully obvious. 

I cleared my throat. "I'm fine. You?" I'm so lame! 'I'm fine, you?' Who says that? Acquaintances?! 

"U-Uhm...i'm good. Are you sure you're f-fine? You usually say that w-when you mean the opposite." Cam asked, his eyes shining with concern as he looked up at me. 

That same warm, uncontrollable feeling stirred in my chest again, and I furrowed my eyebrows as I tried to suppress it. Which hurt, more than I thought it would. "What? No way! It's all f-good. All good." I corrected myself, my voice coming out of my mouth sounding strange. 

"R-Really? Because you sound like you're in p-pain," he said, catching up to me as I began to walk so he wouldn't see my face as clearly. 

"Really really. No trouble in paradise, I promise." I kept my eyes straight ahead, although I could feel his scrutinizing gaze on my face. This is going to be harder than I thought. I can't keep getting closer to him; not if I want to keep my feelings from spiralling out of control. 

I stayed silent as we walked to school, keeping my lips pursed. I so badly wanted to talk to him, and he kept glancing my way. Gah, I didn't think this would be this difficult and it's only been ten minutes! 

"Kai? You're r-really quiet today. Is something on your mind?" Camden asked, finally breaking the silence as we rounded a corner. 

"Huh? No, I just got nothing to talk about is all." I said. I am such a loser. A stupid, selfish, cowardly los-

"Kai, stop!" Suddenly I was yanked backwards via my backpack as a car whizzed past, it's horn blaring as it zoomed by. 

I blinked, my eyes widening in shock. "What the-holy crap! I totally almost just got hit by a car. Wow. Cam, you just saved my life!" I exclaimed, looking down at him. He was biting his lip, a nervous look on his face. The concern I had seen on his face moments ago had tripled. 

"K-Kai, you-you're not fine. You just zoned out in the middle of crossing the s-street. What really happened at Todd's?" Cam asked, his voice serious. 

I exhaled through my nose, focusing on him. There's no way I can tell him. Not really. "Nothing. Okay?" I said, hoping he would let it go, but I knew him well enough that I should have expected the stubborn look he donned. 

"N-Nothing? What about your h-hand, then?" He said. I looked down, where his gaze rested on my bruised knuckles from punching Todd. I stuffed it in my pocket, huffing. 

"Like I said, it's nothing. Look, it didn't go well with Todd. That's all there is to it." 

"You can t-tell me, Kai. If you n-need someone to talk about it with, then-"

"I can't!" I finally shouted, making Cam blink in surprise. "Going to Todd's made me realize some things. About me, and about you. And I don't know how to deal with it, so just-let's just go to school, all right? That I know how to deal with." I said, my voice a little cracked. What is wrong with me? Why does he always make me so, so unravelled?