Chapter 10

"Ah, the air is crisp! So crisp I could dip it in some ranch and take a bi-"

"Just go to school all ready!" Naomi shouted, and I winced. 

Well then. I continued my way out the door, shutting it behind me. What a beautiful November morning! I shivered, pulling my coat tighter around me with a smile. It may be damn chilly, but that's what's so great about the changing seasons! You get to complain about how you wish for summer, then when you're dying of heatstroke in the summer you can long for winter once more! 

With that happy thought, I walked down the road on my way to school. I wonder how Cam is gonna get to school today. Will he take the bus? Will he walk-or catch a ride with his parents? I bit my lip, worrying. It doesn't seem like he and his parents have a good relationship. I mean, why else would you not want to go to the police? 

Wait! I gasped. What if his mom is a mob boss and his dad is her right hand man, and they have beef with the cops?! What if a rival gang stole Camden's car as a signal-or a warning?! What if-

"Kai!" 

I jumped at the sound of my name, twirling around towards where it came from. 

What the- "Cam?!" I exclaimed in surprise. 

I met him halfway as he jogged up to me, and immediately wrapped him in a hug. 

"Oof," he mumbled into my chest. I let him go and grinned down at his blushing self. "G-Good morning to you too," Cam said, smiling shyly. 

"I'll say! You're walking to school now?" I asked excitedly. 

He nodded. "Yeah, I am. S-Sorry I can't give you rides anymore." 

"Hey, don't apologize for something like that! And look at it this way; we can walk to school together now. Really the only difference is we're not in a car. Speaking of which, we should probably start walking." I said, scratching my chin. 

"B-But what if one of us goes late or early, and we m-miss each other?" Camden asked as we began to walk. He fiddled with his jacket sleeve as he said this, like not going to school with me would be the most disheartening thing in the entire universe. 

I smiled fondly at him. "I'll wait for you. You come right down my street, don't you?" 

"Y-Yes, but-"

"No buts! I'll wait right in front of my house every morning, and we can just text each other if the situation changes. Okay?" I nudge him with my elbow. 

He looked up at me with eyes slightly wide. "You'd really d-do that?" 

"Yeah, of course! It's no big-whoa!" Camden suddenly attacked me with a hug, wrapping his arms around my middle, his head on my chest. A warm feeling spread from the top of my head to the tips of my toes, making me beam. I was just about to hug back when he lurched away. 

"S-Sorry! I'm sorry, I didn't m-mean to h-hug you like that." He stammered, his face bright red. 

"Cam, it's okay!" I laughed, slinging an arm around his shoulders and tugging him along with me. "I hug you all the time without consent. You have a lot of free hug passes with me that have yet to be used up. You better start cashin' in, okay?" I said, winking at him. 

He just kept blushing, and nodded slightly. I grinned and ruffled his hair. 

"Now, off to school we go!" 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I swear by my mother's mustache, if he doesn't stop staring at us-you-i'll go over there and remove his damn eyes." Derek threatened, referring to my ex-boyfriend Todd.