Chapter 18

***Camden's POV***

I shut my eyes as my parents argued in the other room. The all too familiar sound of glass breaking reached my ears as I sat on my bed. Why must they always break things? I thought to myself with a sigh. 

As soon as my mother shut the front door I started to miss Kai. My parents started to yell at each other instantly. I left the room before I was caught in the crossfire, but I knew it was only a matter of time before my mother decided to vent her frustrations using me. 

I flinched as I heard the front door slam, meaning my dad had left to go drinking and probably sleep with someone-anyone-who wasn't my mother. 

They were only still together because of finances. They were stuck, it's one of the things they scream about to each other all the time. Apparently they couldn't pay some things off without each other. 

It's terrible, but I wish they could split up. I'm so sick of getting the leftovers of their stress. They were never very caring or loving, they don't celebrate birthdays or Christmas so i've never even gotten anything from them.

If they could, i'm sure they would have been rid of me a long time ago. My older brother used to live here, and we were pretty close. We had to be; we might have gone insane if our parents were our only other options.

He left me his car that he worked hard to pay off when he left. I was terrified when he told me he was moving out, but I knew he had to move on with his life. I couldn't be selfish enough to ask him to stay. We still talk and Skype when he's not working or in classes for college.

A feeling of loneliness spread over me as I thought of him. I heard another smash that made me jump. Here it comes. 

"CAMDEN!" My mother shouted. I took a deep breath, getting up and leaving my room. The pit in my stomach grew as I entered the kitchen, seeing the flower vase that had been on the counter smashed to pieces on the tile. 

"Clean up this god damn mess. And didn't I tell you to clean the stove thoroughly when you do the dishes? Do I need to do every fucking thing? I don't ask you to do much, but when I do you stutter your way through and mess it all up like the lazy trash you are. Just fucking do what you're told!" She shouted, then stomped her way out of the room and to her bedroom, slamming the door. 

I quietly got the broom as my eyes stung. No! I won't cry. I don't have to cry; what she said isn't true. So why does it still hurt worse than if she'd slapped me? 

I bit my trembling lower lip as I cleaned up my parents' mess. Again. I re-cleaned the stove even though it was spotless, and made sure everything else was clean before going back to my room. I laid down on my bed, facing the ceiling. 

Despite my best efforts, silent tears dripped down my face. I wiped them away and turned towards my bedroom window. I hate it here. Sometimes I find myself saying I want to go home even when i'm sitting here in my room. I don't know where home is. 

It's got to be out there somewhere, otherwise I wouldn't long for it this much, right? I got off my bed and locked my door before grabbing my jacket and beanie, slipping them on. I went over to my window and opened it, crawling out. 

I gently lowered myself to the ground, seeing as my bedroom is on the first floor of the house. I just need to get out of there. I can't handle the sense of hopelessness that settles over me in there sometimes. 

I made my way down the lawn, deciding to take a walk as I sniffled. I really, really miss Kai. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~