Chapter 17

***Kai's POV***

"Ice skating!" I said excitedly at my house the next week, on the Saturday of Cam and I's first date. 

"You stupid shit. What if Cam doesn't know how to ice skate?" Derek said, giving me a dry look. 

"Well, we can hold hands and I can lead him around while the cliche of it weighs down our souls." I said cheerily. 

Derek shook his head. "Uh-huh, whatever you say. Just so long as you plan not to let go. I mean, metaphorically. Your mom could arrive any day here, and we both know how you get." 

My smile faltered a little, and I tightened my jaw. "I'll be fine. I won't break up with Cam, no matter what happens. So don't piss me off right before our first date." I said easily. 

He put his hands up. "Fine, fine, don't get pissy with me. I'm just saying, almost half of your relationships ended every time your mom came around and left. You and I both know and feel that Cam is different from all the ones that came before. So if you need anything, if I can help..." Derek trailed off, glancing up at me cautiously to make sure he hadn't set me off. 

I clenched my jaw, forcing a tight smile. "I'll be fine. We're gonna have a kick ass first date, then dance off into the sunset and live happily ever after." 

"There you go again, burying it all with pretty words. Just tread carefully." He sighed. 

I gave him a blank stare. "Are you saying...i'm gonna be on thin ice?" I smirked. 

"You dumbass. Why do I even talk to you? What a shitty pun from a shitty person." 

"Asshole," I said. "I have to go pick up Cam now." 

Derek raised his eyebrows at me. "In what? Your invisible chariot?" 

"Shut up!" I whined. "Naomi is letting me use the car since she works the night shift tonight." 

"That's illegal. You only have your permit. I'm gonna have to call the police on you," Derek said, pulling out his phone and grinning. 

"I hope they talk shit, 'cause i'm about to shove that phone up your ass." I threatened, and he snickered. 

"Yeah yeah, go pick up your boyfriend already. I don't want to see you anymore." 

"Excuse yourself, shitstain. This is my house, get out." I said, grabbing my jacket, scarf and gloves. 

"Pearl wanted to talk to me...are those dildos on your gloves?" Derek asked, squinting at them. 

I furrowed my eyebrows at him. "No, fuckwit. Pearl said they're cacti." I mumbled, looking closer at them. 

"I hate to break it you-actually, no I don't. Those are big ass dildos, dude. Do you know what a cactus looks like?" He said, slapping me on the shoulder. 

I pouted, shoving him. "Whatever. Go do dirty things with my sister." 

"That is seven layers of wrong dip in a huge bowl of nope." Derek said, shaking his head with a sigh. "See you later dude. Don't muck it up." 

"Yeah, yeah." I said, watching as he left my room. I got my stuff, leaving my room. I grabbed the car keys on my way out, trying not to let what Derek said get to me. Cam and I will be fine. I don't know if I love him yet, but that doesn't mean we're going to fall apart. 

I got in the car, plugging my phone into the audio jack and playing Rather Be by Clean Bandit and Jess Glynne. Derek hated it when I listened to this music genre, he hated it. Which meant I played it all the time, of course.