Chapter 13

***Camden's POV***

Agh! What is going on with Kai? First he says all that-that stuff to me this morning, and just leaves it like that, then continues to act strangely all day! I pursed my lips in frustration glancing at the clock yet again as the teacher droned on and on. 

My eyes went from Kai to the clock frequently. Kai looked like he was deep in thought sitting a few rows ahead of me, and it drove me crazy wanting to know what he was thinking about. What did he mean by going to Todd's made him realize things about me? What things? What things?!?!  

Again, my eyes shifted to the clock. Five minutes. Five minutes and I plan to confront Todd about whatever happened at his house yesterday. If Kai won't spill the beans, maybe Todd will share some protein. Not meat, beans. I don't want Todd's meat. Oh gosh. Four minutes. 

I don't want to pry into Kai's business, but I can't help my worry! Kai...he means so much to me, more than I even know. If he's going through something, I want to be there for him, but it doesn't look like he wants me to. 

Perhaps if I talk to Todd, I can begin to understand why Kai has so much trouble letting people in. He won't admit it, but I see it. He's been hurt so much because he used to let people in so easily, now it's turned him into the opposite. 

And Todd is a part of that, from how long ago I don't know. But I intend to find out. 

Then the bell rang.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I almost turned tail and ran as I watched Todd from around a corner. He was smoking in one of the more desolate areas of school, glancing around him to keep an eye out for teachers. 

Oh man. Not only does he have an electric blue mow hawk, but he wears edgy stuff and smokes! How much more stereo-typically intimidating can you get?! I gulped, working up my courage. At this rate i'll sound like porky the pig when i'm talking to him. 

I closed my eyes, and thought of Kai. I took a deep breath, opened my eyes and approached Todd. I came from around his right side, and even when I was standing in front of him he didn't look up. I fidgeted and watched as he slowly took a drag of his cigarette.

"U-Uhm-" I began, but he cut me off before I got a sentence out. 

"You're that kid that hangs out with Kai, right?" He asked calmly, finally looking up at me. He didn't look angry, but the bruise on his jaw was a furious swirl of blue and black. 

"Y-Yes, my name's C-Camden." I said, swallowing hard. He nodded, exhaling smoke out through his nose.  

"Uh-huh. You gonna hit me too? 'Cause i'm not a violent guy, i'll just cry if you do." He said, staring right at me. 

I shook my head instantly. "N-No, that's not why I w-wanted to talk to y-you. I was wondering i-if you could tell me s-something." I said nervously. His expression hadn't changed for the entire conversation. His eyes were like those of a cold, dead fish. 

"Depends on what I know." Todd mumbled, dropping his cigarette and crushing it beneath the heel of his converse. 

"W-Well I wanted to know i-i-if...there was something specific t-that you said to Kai to upset him. H-He's closed himself off a-and I figured you'd know w-why." I managed to stammer out, my eyes hopeful. 

"And why would I tell you? So you can help him? We're not exactly on good terms y'know. My smarting jaw bone can tell you that much. To get, you gotta give a little. Equivalent exchange, my friend." Todd said, spreading his arms as if to say, 'that's just how it is'. 

"I-I don't...understand. Is t-there something you want? My virginity is n-n-not on the table!" I said quickly, hoping he had something specific in mind. Food? Car parts? Kai's toothbrush?!

"What? No. Stop looking so panicked, you're makin' me nervous. How much you got in your wallet, kid?" 

I blinked. "Uhm..." I got out my wallet and looked inside. "T-Ten dollars?" No sooner did I pull out the bill than it was snatched from my hand. 

"All right, you wanna know the whole night? Or like, just the drama? I got time." Todd said easily, showing the first signs of emotion as he grinned a little. Did I just...buy information off of a junkie? 

?!?!?!?!?!

"J-Just the drama is fine." I said, trying to blink away a bit of culture shock. Todd shrugged. 

"Well, we were arguing and stuff. It's kinda hard to remember it all. I said he was lonely, damaged goods; I remember that. He punched me cause I said you were jonesin' for him or something, though. He got real pissed when I talked about you. Said to never talk about you like that, and that I knew nothin'." He said, looking off in the distance as he recalled the night before. 

Kai punched him over me? Was that really what got him upset? 

"Hey, why do you care so much anyway? Kai is fine. He's always fine. You shouldn't worry about him." Todd said. 

I looked at him seriously. "T-That's where you're wrong. Kai acts like he's fine, but he's not. He's h-hurting inside, and so few people take the time to look long enough to see it. Maybe if you cared more, you would have seen how much pain you w-were causing him." I said firmly, and Todd actually looked surprised. 

I then lost all the courage it took to say that, and bit my lip. "A-Anyway, thanks for the information. Uh, t-try not to spend the money on bad s-s-stuff!" I blurted out hastily, and began to walk quickly away. It was quiet, but I could swear I heard him chuckle behind me and say, "Hold onto to that one, Kai." 

With a red face, I walked faster. Time to find Kai and set things straight. Or, not straight. Definitely not. Make things right! There we go. Oh man. 

----------How do you guys think Cam is going set things strai-err, make things right?!----------