The sad part

Weeks of pure Bliss had gone by and Sophie was enjoying every minute of it.

Fitz and her were together again, and though her friends and family may not be too keen on the idea, there was nothing that they could say or do to make her break up with him again.

Every night we'd telepathically talk to each other. He would ask me about my day, I'd tell him all about it and he'd listen. If I needed advise, he'd tell me what he would do and help me figure out what I would do. Then we switched. He'd tell me about his day and I'd listen. I'd give advice and we'd figure it out together.

I was so happy. Was.

My happiness only lasted around maybe a month or two. Then things became Rocky. I saw Fitz chatting with Cattia and standing a bit too close to her.

Tears welded up in my eyes as I made my way over to ask what was going on. She glared at me and left, where Fitz assured that nothing was going on between them, and I was all he needed.

Obviously that made my doubt go away, or at least be pushed to the back of my mind... For now.

A month later we went to a birthday party of a friend of Fitz's from Foxfire together, and Fitz got extremely drunk. Not on alcohol humans drink, but special alcohol the elves drink. It's extra strong since elf minds can take it, and Fitz had a drink too many.

He was stumbling all over and I was beyond ready to go home. But I didn't want to leave without him.

I searched the whole house for him only to find him in the backyard talking about me to some of his friends. Unfortunately, he wasn't saying the nicest things about me.

What was worse was him letting his friends talk about me in that way too. And them laughing about me.

I put a brave face on and headed over. I greeted the guys and told Fitz it was time to go.

"Not yet Sophie, why don't you come sit with me, hmm?" Fitz slurred his words, alarming Sophie.

"I don't think that's such a great idea Fitz, let's just go."

"Aww come on Sophie, stay with us for a while." One of Fitz friends suggested with a sick smile on his face.

"No thank you, Fitz let's go please."

"I'll think about it if you sit on my lap..."

"Fitz!"

"Sophie." The smirking boy said back.

"Fine, I'm leaving. You stay and do whatever. I don't care."

She did care, but she turned and left anyway.

As she light lept away, she saw Fitz laughing with his friends again. Tears stung her eyes as she thought, they're talking about me.

When she got home she ran to her bathroom and showered off the smell that the party had, and climbed into bed.

Sandor and her other bodyguards we're ensuring the house was safe, and took their posts, glad to be home. They don't like parties much anyway.

Sophie decided tonight was a 3am night, so she stayed up thinking about Fitz with his friends, and crying, wondering why he would make her feel that way.

He was drunk. She told herself, he didn't know better.

He loved her, right? If he loved you he wouldn't be making fun of you.

But he said he loved her. Actions speak louder than words.

She was drowning in her thoughts, when Edaline came in

"Sophie, honey are you ok?"

One look at her adopted mother's worried face and she was crying again. She told Edaline everything that happened over the last few months and all the feelings she had about all of it.

"Honey, you need to end things with him. He's not good for you."

"But we love each other."

"You may love him, Sophie, but he does not love you. He loves the idea of you. The idea of a perfect, happy girl. And for him, you are. Or were. He doesn't happen to realize that storms come with lightning and thunder and lots of rain. He doesn't realize that his actions cause that storm, and when it's done, nothing is the same. He wants that perfect girl, and I'm sorry Sophie, but you can't give that to him. You'll loose yourself in the process."

At that moment Sophie connected all the dots to a bigger picture, proving Edaline to be right. Oh how she wished her mom was wrong, but Edaline was right. Fitz doesn't love her, just the idea of her.

She knew she had to break up with him. But she wasn't ready for that just yet. She wanted to love for a little longer. And though she could feel her heart breaking again, she couldn't find it in herself to hate him.

And that's the sad part. Though she could hear her own heart breaking, she's still willing to love the same one who broke it.

                               💔