you make me happy

Sophie walked back up the stairs, with Keefe right behind her.

"How was your nap, Foster?" Keefe smirked at her, "Have any good dreams, by chance?"

Sophie blushed, replying with a quiet, "I don't know what you're talking about."

"Sure you do, your emotions spiked when you saw me. I could tell you were thinking of me, or... dreaming." He smiled smugly. Darn empaths.

"You know, I don't really want to hangout anymore." Sophie sarcastically told him.

"What!" Keefe mocked hurt, "how could you! I thought we were friends."

"Yes of course, but if you keep assuming such lies about me and my dreams, I don't want to be seeing you. Hmph!" She played onto his mockery, turning her nose up to the ceiling and trying to hide a smile.

Just then she was wacked with a pillow, and she fell to the floor. Sophie heard a thud beside her, indicating Keefe had fallen too. Keefe, however, was laughing.

"I'm... Sorry... Foster, that was just... Too funny!" Keefe announced between laughs.

Sophie tried to be mad at Keefe, but ended up laughing with him instead.

"You know Keefe, you make me really happy." Sophie told him, while staring at the ceiling.

"I try to, Foster." Keefe smiled at her.

Sophie turned her head to look at her friend. "No Keefe, I mean you really make me happy! Just that you always have a great attitude and mindset when I'm with you, and the fact that you show that you want to spend time with me makes me so, so happy." She told him, smiling lightly.

"Hey, that's good cause you make me happy too Foster."

They smiled at each other for a while, before Sophie looked away with a slight blush on her cheeks.

Keefe chuckled, then reached out to grab Sophie's hand.

Sophie looked at her hand in Keefe's for a moment, before looking up to meet his gaze.

He was looking at her, and he was holding her hand.

And though they'd held hands many times before, it was different this time. The other times their friends were around, and they were light leaping. This time, Keefe had held her hand because he wanted to.

Sophie looked up, with question in her eyes, and Keefe could feel her confusion. Instead of elaborating, Keefe smiled at her and scooted closer to her.

He kissed her forehead, causing Sophie's breath to hitch, and her heart to go into humming bird mode.

Keefe went to whisper in her ear, and instead of saying something she wasn't sure she wanted to think about, he suggested they make a fort.

"What?" Sophie asked, shocked.

"Do you want to make a fort?" Keefe repeated.

"I know what you said." Sophie told him, "I just didn't expect for you to ask that. It just doesn't seem like... like something you would say I suppose."

"Well, do you want to or not?" He asked again.

"Sure, why not." Sophie answered.

And so they got to work.

Sophie and Keefe's fort used a giant Green sheet for the very top, and a cream sheet for the sides. They tossed pillows inside and layed a few blankets out. Sophie strung up some fairy lights on the sides, and Keefe grabbed snacks for them. In the end, their fort looked great!

The two of them climbed in and dropped the blue sheet they were using as a "door" to the floor.

Then, Keefe grabbed Sophie and pulled her back to his chest, so they were sitting together. Sophie leaned against him, completely comfortable in his presence, and Keefe leaned against the wall they had built their fort next to.

As they were talking, Keefe absentmindedly began to play with Sophie's hair, running his finger through it, and twirling it around. They were chatting for a long time, before they accidentally fell asleep.

Keefe holding Sophie in his arms all night long.