Getting over Fitz

Sophie was sitting on the floor, wearing Keefe's sweatshirt, reading his note over and over again, and smiling from ear to ear. She couldn't believe it!

Keefe had liked her forever, and Fitz never truly did.

How could she have been so blind?

So stuck on one person, she completely missed one whom was right in front of her.

Who actually, for real, liked her, and would choose her over anyone else.

But now she was afraid to catch feelings, to get attached to someone. Because both times she did, she'd gotten hurt. Something went go wrong and she wasn't good enough.

No matter how faithful she knew Keefe was, she was scared to fall for him. At least, more than she already had...

"Sophie, you alright there?" Edaline asked.

Sophie jumped a bit, not expecting Edaline to come to her room. "I'm good mom." Sophie replied.

"I'm really good," she thought to herself.

"I see you've acquired a new clothing item, one I'm not familiar with..." Her adopted mother trailed off.

"It's a sweatshirt. Not mine, technically."

"Whose then?"

"Keefe's..." Sophie muttered, avoiding eye contact and waiting to see how Edaline would react.

"Keefe's? Wonderful!"

"Wonderful?"

"Yes, it's about time you two got together. But, you think you're ready after just getting out of a bed relationship?"

"Together? Mom, we aren't together. I'm definitely not ready for that yet."

"Oh, I see. My bad. I thought humans took their significant others sweatshirts. Which reminds me, how'd he manage to find one?"

"They do, but they also take their friends sweatshirts. And I don't know the answer to that question..." Sophie lied about the last part.

"Gotcha." Edaline sarcastically told her, eyeing Sophie up and down. Almost as if to say, "so you're still in denial?"

"Uh, I think I'm going to take a nap. So..." Sophie looked away from her adopted mother.

"Yes, of course. I'll leave then. Have a nice nap."

"Thanks Edaline."

Edaline gave a soft smile on her way out the door, and Sophie crawled into bed for her nap.

She fell asleep drowning in Keefe's scent.

Keefe POV.

When I left Sophie's house, the first place I went was Everglen.

I was greeted in with a warm welcome from Alden and Della, who were outside on a walk.

I said hello and walked towards the very familiar house. I went straight to Fitz's room, and saw him sitting on his bed with his head in his hands. He looked absolutely miserable, and he should.

Fitz looked up at me, and I clenched my jaw. I had changed my mind, he had no right to be miserable. He broke Sophie. He cheated on Sophie. He damaged Sophie so bad, that she harmed herself. Cried herself to sleep. Was drowning in self pity, doubt, and insecurities.

I wanted to punch his perfect face, that was hosting red eyes and a sniffling nose, desperately. Because he had no right to be like this. He broke her, not the other way around.

"You little-"

"Don't finish that. I know what you're going to say, so don't." Fitz muttered. "I miss her, and I want her back, but I'm aware it won't happen."

"Good. You should miss her, she's a great person. You deserve to feel this, but you have no right." Keefe fumed.

"You don't think I know that!?" Fitz snapped, and Keefe took a step back. "You don't think I'm aware of how much I hurt her? You don't think it kills me every single day? Well it does."

"Good. It should. She loved you with every fiber in her body, with every broken piece of her heart, and you broke her again. You don't deserve her."

And with that, I stormed out. I could hear Fitz hurl something at the wall on my way out of the house.

"Idiot," Keefe muttered under his breath.

Before I got the chance to step on to the front porch of Everglen, Biana yelled at me to come into the kitchen.

"How is she?"

"Hi Keefe, nice to see you. It's been some time how are you? I'm great Biana thank you, how are you?"

"I'm good. Thanks. How's Sophie?"

"She's good."

"Really?"

"Well, she needs time, like we all do. Time to be ok with being ok. Because sometimes, feeling right after feeling so wrong for so long, is the hardest thing to get used to."

"I hope she gets really good soon, I miss having her smiling often. And thinking of something other than boys, my brother in particular."

"I feel you, but I need her to get better than she is so I can get her all the way better. And then I'm going to show her she deserves to be treated like a queen."

"Awh! That's so cute!!"

Keefe rubbed the back of his neck, "Well, yaknow... Heh."

"Ok you can leave now. Unless you want mallow melt."

"I'm good, thanks Biana."

"Yep, see ya!"

Keefe soluted at her as he walked out the door, out the gates, and light lept away.