❅ Chapter One ❅

Risa waved at kids of the orphanage who were all crowded around the living room window.

Her brown bangs whipped into her hazel eyes from the wind, causing her to wrap her scarf around her neck a fourth time.

They called her telling her bye and that they would miss her, along with that they hoped she found her family. She smiled fondly as she took in their faces, since she's probably never see them again after this.

The owner of the orphanage wrapped the scarf around her head, pushing some of her short black curly bob behind her ears. "It's time for you to go into the real world. I have been waiting for this moment for quite a long time." She grumbled as her brown eyes glared at the girl before her.

She tightened the fur coat around her body to try and keep out the wind and snow whipping around. "I will be giving you the speech I give to everyone who leaves. I'm only saying it once, so remember it." She waved her gloved hand at Risa, her voice just shouted grumpily.

She continued with the speech she gave everyone. "Once you get outside that gate you will not be coming back in. You will go into town and find a job, then try and find someplace to stay while you work on getting onto your feet."

"I can't give you anyone to ask for help. You will figure it out on your own. It is part of growing up, which you should know in these past months." She stopped halfway to the gate and shook her head as she watched Risa. "Are you even listening to me?" She asked, crossing her arms over her chest and frowning even deeper than she had been.

Risa bent down and picked up her black, tan and white fluffy puppy. "I am listening to you Mrs. Hemmingworth." She sighed as she pulled her coat up around her body. "I can handle myself." She looked at the woman with a frown on her lips.

Mrs. Hemmingworth frowned at how arrogant Risa was being. "Oh, you can?" She inquired, giving the young woman a challenging look.

Risa pursed her lips for a brief moment. "You said you were dreading letting me go because no one else was responsible enough to take my place to help care for the orphanage." She explained, jabbing her gloved finger at the older woman.

Mrs. Hemmingworth shook her head as Risa spoke. "Even if I did happen to say that, you young lady, need to learn not to eavesdrop on conversations that don't concern you. That is another reason why I am glad you are leaving. No more having to worry if you will be listening to a private conversation."

Risa frowned, even though Loyal licked her cheek to try and cheer her up. "Maybe if you'd talk softer -" She began to mumbled only to be cut off by Mrs. Hemmingworth.

"You were always this way: sarcastic and back talking me. I still gave you food, gave you clothes, kept a roof over your head, taught you how to do average things like reading, math, spelling, and history. I even let you keep that mangy mutt for the past few months out of the kindness of my heart." Mrs. Hemmingworth ranted, her cheeks growing from both the weather and getting worked up over Risa.

Risa put one hand on her hip after setting down her small suitcase. "And, I thank you from the bottom of my heart, Mrs. Hemmingworth." She forced a polite smile. "It means a whole lot to me, even though I was a troublesome child."

"Troublesome? That is an understament, Risa." Mrs. Hemmingworth shook her head, giving her a disappointed look with a deep frown on her painted red lips. "You were one of the most trouble children I've ever raised."

Risa rolled her eyes, not exactly caring to hear her bring that up again for the tenth time just that morning. "I was stubborn, I was sarcastic, I get it. I wasn't a peach like you wished. I never asked for anything but the chance for you to help me find my family, which you never did." She huffed, pulling her hat down over her ears.