❅ Chapter Fourteen ❅

Risa, Rolando, Loyal, and Vincent had been walking for days that went into a few weeks. Since Risa still had a bit of fear of trains, for the past two weeks, they bargained to drop off carriages, cars, produce carts to the next town or ride along with people.

They stopped at small inns and stayed there for the night and eating breakfast before continuing on their journey. It was nice to be out of the cold, in a warm bed, have hot food in your stomach before continuing on the journey. People were nice and friendly, which was a good thing.

It was coming up on three weeks when she had finally given in and taken a train through Germany. She was worried sick the whole time. She prayed nothing would go wrong, since they were not going to do the same l in Poland. Though Poland, it was smooth sailing as well, and Risa had gotten a little more comfortable, however, she still had anxiety about riding the train.

They hopped off the train at Metz, France, a beautiful city. Risa sat down on a bench at the train station, setting her suitcase and Loyal down beside her. "We made it to France! How much longer do we have until we get to Paris?" She asked, knowing by the end of this her legs would be very strong.

Rolando chuckled sitting down beside her and setting his luggage beside him. "Ah, we are in the city where my mother and father live. I was hoping you wouldn't mind stopping there for a few days and recovering from our journey? But to answer your question a few hours on a train or a few days by foot or a whole day by horse-drawn carriage." He replied, stretching his sore legs out in front of him.

Risa nodded, she didn't mind meeting Rolando's parents. It would be a chance for her to meet some new people and perhaps they could help her with all she needed to know about Paris? "Alright, they can help me learn more about Paris and how to find my family right?" She asked curiously, leaning forward.

Rolando smiled fondly at her question. She was hoping she had asked that. "Indeed, they can help you learn all you need to know and as Vincent has suggested, teach you how to be a fine lady in such a regal city." He was pretty happy to see his family again. He hadn't seen them in fifteen years, which was indeed a long time.

He paused for a moment, taking a drink out of his canteen he had gotten on their journey. "Then you can meet Stella. That is the first place we are going when we get there. Her house is just on the outskirts of the magnificent city." He was so happy to see the girl he loves with his whole heart.

Vincent sat down beside Risa and nudged her shoulder. He had a thought that popped into his head and he gave her a sly smile. "Perhaps you could pass off as a duchess of something with Stella and then get to meet the Count and Countess Rosenberg." He smoothly tried to make his voice as light and playful as he could.

Risa looked over at Vincent and raised an eyebrow at what he had said. She couldn't tell if he was joking or not. He couldn't have been serious, could he? "What do you mean? I am not going to be passed off as a Duchess and meet the Count and Countess. I am blessed if I can meet Stella alone." She pointed out.

Vincent rolled his eyes at what she had just said. "Risa, darling that is not what I mean. I was joking. I wasn't serious. Just fancy me for a moment, think that maybe you could be royalty. You could be the Duchess, perhaps Stella may recognize you, and bam, you found your family." He exclaimed pretty proudly of himself.

Risa was so lost she had no idea what he was getting at. "I have no idea what you mean Vincent. Yes, that would be easy but that is too cliche and I doubt that could happen for me. Why would she recognize me? I am an orphan, I know nothing of my past or family, the only thing I have is this pocket watch." She said, holding it up and shoving it in his face.

Rolando couldn't believe he was still trying to find a way to make her the Duchess so he can get the reward money. "Vincent, I know what you are implying. Very few of these watches were ever made, and I was there when Persia gave it to Clarissa. I overheard some palace staff saying how popular that pocket watch design was and many were getting it. Just because they also had a similar pocket watch doesn't mean anything." He was trying to be reasonable with Vincent.