❅ Chapter Thirty-Four ❅

A few days later, Rolando was putting the finishing touches on his date for Stella. He had spent the whole day running around and making sure that everything was perfect. He couldn't settle for anything less than the best for his beloved. 

With his connections, he was able to rent the brand new Soleil Brillant de la Rivière, a new restaurant that sat along the Seine River and wasn't even open yet. Decked out in gold and marbles, with the sun on every piece of furniture and the walls. At first glance, one would say it modeled after what most would think a temple dedicated to the Greek god Apollo would look like. It was true it was loosely inspired, but it still had the French touch.

He spared no expense for the most lavish date in his whole life. Yes, renting it was a little pricey, but he knew it was worth it since tonight he would make Stella his fiancée! He had even paid for a photographer to take pictures of certain events like him proposing to her and what followed after. 

He hummed gently as he made sure everything was perfect. He nodded toward the waiters with a smile, thanking them for their help. "Oh, Stella is going to love this. Now, I should go lick her up and by the time I get back our meal will be ready to be served, right?" He asked one of the waiters, who nodded and confirmed that everything would be ready.

Smiling, he left the restaurant and got into a carriage he had rented for the night. He gently flicked the reins and clicked his tongue, signaling the horses to begin to walk, which they did. He was sure Stella would be surprised that he was arriving in a horse-drawn carriage. He figured it would be romantic.

He smiled and waved to those being passed. He was no doubt going to be the talk of the city if the reports found out. They were bound to, but he didn't mind and he was sure Stella didn't either. It wasn't every day a duchess got married to a former military man, plus Stella was well known all over Paris.

He soon arrived at Stella's house. He could see a few lights on and he could see Éclair laying in the window, napping. He got off the carriage and grabbed the bouquet in the seat beside him. A baker's dozen white and peach roses, he paid extra to acquire since nothing was too expensive for Stella.

He straightened himself up and fixed his tie before walking over to the door. With every step, his palms grow sweaty despite it being cold out and in black gloves. His stomach felt like it was flip-flopping around, that was a feeling he hadn't had since his schoolboy age.

He knocked three times gently on Stella's door to alert her he was there. Dressed in a full-on tux with a top hat on his head, he put the bouquet behind his back so that it would be a surprise when he extended them towards her. He hoped he looked presentable since this was going to be a momentous night.

He had to admit he felt like a nervous schoolboy standing here. He was taking the love of his life on a date. Not to mention they both weren't young like Risa and Vincent, but somehow the spark of young love still stayed lit in them both. He didn't know how, but he was glad he could still feel that way.

Inside the house, minutes before Rolando's arrival, Persia was helping her sister get ready for the date. "Hold still. I can't fix your hair if you keep moving around." She scolded her sister as if she was the mother and Stella were the young children. She carefully curled the last few pieces of air and tucked the curls around the bun with bobby pins.

Stella stopped her leg from bouncing and placed her hands on the vanity. "Sorry. I'm just a little nervous. I feel like I did when I first met Rolando. I never thought I could feel like a giddy schoolgirl, but that is how Rolando makes me feel." She admitted, looking at her sister in the mirror.

Persia twisted curls to make it rose-like and pinned yet another one. "I remember that. I always teased you about your crush and your face would grow as red as an apple. I recall one time I brought it up at the dinner table and you almost choked on your turkey." She laughed at the memory. They were young then, such good times.