❅ Chapter Thirty-Eight ❅

After changing, Risa, Vincent, Medusa, and the Rosenbergs traveled to the party in the carriage the Rosenbergs were going to take before being captured by Medusa. They were pretty sure everyone was going to be worried by their late arrival and were surprised Medusa joined them.

Risa rested her head on Vincent's shoulder, her hands stuffed in the pockets of her coat. "You missed your train," She spoke, looking up at him. "You know you can probably make the last one if we drop you off now."

Vincent looked down at her. He hadn't thought about that since he had followed Loyal, who was sleeping on his lap. "You know, the whole reason I was leaving wasn't because of making amends, it was giving you space." He explained, wrapping his arm around her.

Risa looked away and felt a bit embarrassed by his words. "Oh," She mumbled, earning strange looks from her family. "Since we made up and I'm no longer mad at you, do you think you could stand a little longer?" She sheepishly asked, looking down at her lap.

Vincent smiled slightly, humming as he thought about it. "Let me see," He pretended to think, a serious expression on his face before cracking another smile. "Sure, why not. I'm not in any rush and I should stick around for the party, Rolando would like that."

Cyrene watched silently from beside her mother. She was happy to have her big sister back and she thought she might get a big brother too someday. Thay big brother was Vincent when he married Risa. "Why don't you just kiss already." She mumbled out loud.

Vincent looked up, surprised at her words, although he hadn't heard them he heard her say something. "Hmm?" He hummed, tilting his head to the side, giving her a suspicious look. "Did you say something?"

Cyrene's eyes went wide and she gave a sheepish smile, sinking in her seat. "What? No, no, I was - well yes, I was talking to myself. Nothing‐nothing of importance." She stammered out, snuggling her face into her scarf.

Risa sat up and raised her eyebrows at her younger sister. She wasn't buying it but wasn't going to press the issue. "You're so cute when you stammer all embarrassed." She teased Cyrene, sticking her tongue out at her.

Cyrene playfully glared back and stuck her tongue out at Risa. "Haha," She deadpanned, rolling her eyes. "Are you going to tease me about everything?" She inquired, not minding if Risa did. It would be nice for a chance, and she knew it was all in good fun.

Risa giggled softly and nonchalantly shrugged her shoulders. "Maybe. Maybe not. We'll have to see," She mused, letting out a sigh. "I'm sorry that I don't remember anything from our childhood - er, our time together before the riots." She did feel a little guilty.

Cyrene could tell that Risa did feel guilty but she wanted to put her mind at ease. "It's all right," She began, reaching over and placing a hand on her knee. "They may come back to you as time goes on, or they may never come back. I will gladly tell you the stories - well, of what I can remember."

Risa was glad to know who her family was. Even if it was a little cliché, at least in her eyes. "I'd appreciate it," She then looked over at her parents. "I also want to warn you that I'm sorry if I end up ever embarrassing you for being a little stubborn."

Vincent shot her a funny look and laughed. "A little? Risa, you're the most stubborn person I know and that's coming from a man whose middle name is stubborn - not really, but you get my point." He nudged her with a chuckle.