❅ Chapter Twenty-Eight ❅

A A few hours later, the sound of bells jingling came not too far from where they were. Now, Risa didn't know what they could be since she lived in Canada. "What could it be?" She asked as she stood up and looked around, trying to pinpoint where it was coming from. "A sleigh? Back in Canada, we had sleighs, many people used them because in some places it was hard to drive in the winter." She said, picking up her glass and finishing the rest of her water.

Tessa smiled happily as she stood up knowing exactly what it was. "Well, when I normally hear bells it's Roma dancers and musicians! However, most call them gypsies but that is more of an offensive term because it's used by people who are racist towards them." She said, pulling her towards the crowd. She could tell by the look on her face she hadn't heard or seen that before. "Trust me. You will enjoy it."

Jaelle Gray, the girl who was dancing, even though she was bundled up to keep warm, still looked beautiful and moved with such elegance and grace. Her brown eyes sparkled as she moved in rhythm to the music being played behind her and the tap of yet tambourine. As she spun around her black hair fanned out along with her skirt, becoming a whirl of rainbow colors.

The three men who sat on stools seemed to be so happy as they played a lovely tune. Despite the cold outside, they seemed to be not bothered by the cold weather. Risa wondered how on earth did their ouds keep their tune? Wood blocks didn't need any tuning nor did a tambourine.

Tessa and Risa watched for ten minutes before the group of Romani ended with the crowd clapping. Risa was one of them who was clapping loudly, really impressed by what she had seen. As the people chartered they tossed coins into the small leather bag before the crowd broke away and went back to their daily duties. Both girls began to walk away as well talking about the little show.

Two officers passed the ground and walked up to the girl. One of the men then grabbed the money off the ground and held it tightly. Everyone dashed off but Jaelle was sidetracked and was left wondering what had just happened. The two men roughly grabbed her by the arm and roughly pulled her towards them.

Jaelle exclaimed, startled by their sudden grasp of her arm. "Let me go!" She tried to get her arm away from the officer. She then saw they had the bag of money in the other officer's hand. "You give me back my money!" She had worked hard for that money, dancing and singing was no easy task. Besides, she had earned it, her people had earned it.

The officer pulled his cap down on his head covering his gray hair. "Listen here gypsy, I thought I told you to stop your dancing." The officer, Robert Belmont, condescendingly told the girl as his hazel eyes narrowed. "Since you don't listen to people in authority, your kind never does, your money will pay for your dues." He smirked, waving the bag of money in front of her. He enjoyed taunting her.

Jaelle struggled in his grip, trying to pull her arm away. "That isn't fair. I worked fairly for it by entertaining. It is no different than going to the Moulin Rouge, just without the scantily dressed women." She shot back with narrow eyes and a sharp tone. "Which, there is nothing wrong with that either, but it's no different from what I do!" She yelled, stomping her foot on the ground.

The other officer, Henry Dubois gave a hearty chuckle as he ran his hand through his black and gray hair. "Oh, you silly gypsy girl. You don't work for money. You steal it by hypnotizing them into giving it! We know all your wicked tricks by bewitching innocent Parisians." He spat, narrowing his own dark brown eyes and frowning.

Jaelle slowly growled at what he had said. Oh, people like him made her blood boil. "We all know you would never do that for a Romani. You call us witches and sorcerers which is not what we are! If you knew anything you would understand we are just like you but embrace our heritage." She spat at him, hoping to at least draw some attention with her raised voice.