[7] Crystal

Still puzzled on the fact the lights went out, you headed to your room. You even asked Allura what happened, but she didn't know anything about it. That's the part that made you wonder. . . However, you just ignored it. Anything can happen. The other half of your mind was more confused than ever though. Those five seconds you were cradled in the arms of Keith felt. . .nice. Then again, you haven't hugged anyone since you were nine—hopefully, it was just that. Why were you feeling so weird about him all the sudden?

I swear, if I keep NOT hating him, I'm going to punch Lance in the face, you mentally said to yourself. After contemplating life and your feelings for a good solid six minutes—you decided to head to the main control room. Maybe there would be peace there. When you entered the room, you were wrong. ALL of them were piled up in there over Pidge's monitor. "Why do they always have to—"

"(Y/N)," Allura called in a stern voice. You could tell this was serious. . .so, you pulled your dad's move and tried to get out of there—however, Keith stopped you.

Your heart suddenly raced as he faced you, but you just shrugged it off. "What the heck, Keith—"

"What are you trying to pull?" he asked. He acted like you were the villain in a soap opera or something.

"Right now, my hair out."

Keith narrowed his eyes. You were honestly wondering what was going on. That's when Pidge said,

"One of the Galra dropped a USB for their plans. . ."

You commented, "how convenient."

"I think he was one of the leaders of the troops. I took the hard drive and uploaded it to my computer. Here's what I found." You walked over and peered over her shoulder at the screen. There was an undetected language—a language you had never seen before. But there a picture plastered on the screen of. . .something familiar.

"Why does that picture show my earrings?" you asked. Everyone gasped. You were curious than ever. "Am I missing something?"

"Yeah, that's Galra language and they have something you want," Pidge explained.

"My earrings? What? Do they want to model for Pandora or something—I mean, these earrings are ugly anyways," you responded in disbelief.

"It's not about the earrings themselves, it's about the material that's in them," Keith said from the side. You were shaken up. What the heck were they talking about?

"I read here that they want the jewel that's inside of them. Apparently, it's an extremely rare crystal that can power something way stronger than a nuclear projectile."

"Great, does that mean I can blow myself up?" you asked with a feeling you hadn't felt in a long time—hope.

"Uh, no," Shiro interjected. You pouted and crossed your arms.

"You really aren't taking this seriously, are you?" Keith asked with a bit of anger in his tone.

"Puh-lease. Do you really think this tiny piece of cubic zirconia could be part of the creation of a mega bomb? I don't think so," you scoffed.

"The Galra aren't stupid—well, yeah they are, but when it comes down to their technology. . ." Pidge sighed. "This could be cataclysmic."

"If it is then why did they leave it laying around on a Dollar General USB?" you asked, yanking the hard drive from the computer and showing it off. Keith stole it from you and gave it back to Pidge.

"I didn't say they were THAT smart," Pidge chuckled. You then rolled your eyes.

You kept up the argument though. "Look, if it's that simple, I'll just stick it them down the garbage disposal. Then BOOM—universe saved."

"Worth a shot!" Hunk shrugged.

So, you put your hand up and tried to take off them off—but nothing happened. They wouldn't budge. You've never taken them off before and. . .for some reason, they weren't coming off. You rested your arms and inhaled deeply.

"You're telling me," you looked down at the ground blankly. "That I'm stuck with a piece of jewelry that could end humanity once and for all?"

"Yeah," Lance interrupted.

". . ." You went over to the airlock and tried to open it up, but Keith wouldn't let you. Suddenly, the others began to talk.

"Why won't they come off!?"

"Where did you even get them??"

"What if she's a spy?"

"Can I get a waffle?"

You grew tired of the interrogation pretty fast. "LOOK, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HECK'S GOING ON, BUT I DON'T WANT TO BE INVOLVED!" With that being said, you shoved Keith aside and ran out the door. But he didn't try to even stop you.

Everyone sighed.

"I'm sure she's innocent," Allura assured in a gentle voice. "But this means that the Galra are going to be going after the crystals—no matter what. Who knows what they'll do to her in order to obtain them. . ."

Right now, you were at the other side of the ship. There was a large window you could look out of; however, it was only the blackness from space. Though that was the color of your soul, it didn't help for this occasion.

"Guess I'll just wallow in my own self-pity," you whispered to yourself. Suddenly, the doors from behind you slid open. You turned to see Keith.

"Oh, Keith." You tried hiding your anxiousness around him. "Here to lecture me again?"

He came up beside you and rested his arms on the railing. "I know you're going through a lot—and I know you're just acting out in dysfunction because I get the feeling your life sucked."

"Should I take that as offense or. . .are you actually trying to bond with me? Did Shiro send you here?" You scanned the area for him.

"No, I sent myself."

You didn't know how to take that. You remembered trying to start over with him, but it fell downhill pretty fast. For some reason, there was this barrier between the two of you. You didn't know what it was though. . .

". . .What are you trying to get at? You want the earrings, huh? Well, I can't take them off—"

"No. . .but if I may ask, how did you get them?"

Why was he being so empathic all the sudden? After thinking about it for a few seconds, you decided to just tell him.

"My dad. . .left when I was younger."

Keith nodded and listened. You took a deep breath and continued.

"And. . .he got these earrings for my mother, but she didn't like them—after she listed all the things that were wrong with him, she gave them to me to throw them out. But out of spite, I just wore them to annoy her. And I never took them off."

"Wow—" Keith was speechless. But then it occurred to him. "Wait. . .your dad gave them to her and then left?"

"Mhm."

"Connect the dots," Keith said to you. You did as he said and began to piece it together.

"Oh, my gosh," you were bewildered. "Did he know that it was some kind of weapon? So, he tried to pawn them off on my mother!?"

"Your mother sounds like a real jerk, I'll say that," said Keith. "Maybe after he married her, he just decided to give the earrings to her and so he hit town. Unless that was his plan all along."

"I had a close relationship with him, I know he wouldn't give them to me," you clarified. "Apparently, he planned to give them to her—but she never accepted, so now I'm stuck with them."

"It doesn't really matter, all that matters is we get them off you and get rid of the stupid things," Keith remarked. You nodded determinedly.

There was a long pause before you both ran back to the control room. Keith stared into your eyes and you did into his. You then looked down and blushed. He suddenly broke out of his trance and promptly turned away.

". . .The others are waiting for us." He walked away. You wanted him to stay but you sucked up your ridiculous feelings and followed him.