13 ↠ Michael looked scared

tw: light violence, non-con kiss

Luke

As Luke sat in the car with a very sad looking Michael, he realized Matt was probably right. He usually was but Luke had a thing for keeping his hopes high for when it came to Michael.

They drove towards the cinema and while the older man was trying to keep the conversation going it was clear something was wrong. Luke went through his last texts with Matt so he could convince himself that his friend was right.

Matt
You know there's no one who's a bigger fan of muke than me... But are you sure Michael invited you out on a date or just a friend hangout?

Luke knew Matt was probably right and he felt stupid for dressing up and even putting on a perfume which he could feel where it was sticking on his skin.

Still, even if this wasn't a date, date, Luke felt happy because he was around Michael. Especially after a week of not seeing him. He also felt good because the man gave him a Christmas present. It was from Michael and his dad but Luke knew Michael was the one who picked it up.

He once asked Luke why he kept wearing the same shoes and Luke's answer was because they were the best. What he didn't say was that wearing anything else made him feel physically sick and he couldn't explain why. His last pair wasn't the newest but he couldn't afford to spend money on new shoes so he almost teared up when he opened the gift bag.

Michael didn't let him pay for either the tickets or the snacks which made him feel like shit.

What made Luke feel worse was the fact that he didn't know how and couldn't ask Michael what was wrong. He was afraid it was maybe something he did. Or maybe there was something wrong with his dad and Luke didn't handle bad news well in general.

But as they were just fifteen minutes into the movie Luke couldn't take it anymore. Michael was staring at his shoes and didn't laugh at any of the jokes which even Luke found funny. And Luke didn't find a lot of things funny.

He took Michael's hand and even though the older man didn't understand what was going on, he let himself be pulled out of the theatre.

"What was that about?" Michael asked. He seemed worried. "Was there anyone in the room you know?"

Of course, he'd presume it was about Luke. How could Luke not be in love with someone like Michael?

"I-I didn't think you enjoyed the movie." Luke managed to say. "Not sure you want to be here with me either."

The two found their way outside and Michael kept walking so Luke followed him.

"What? No, no, Luke. I'm so sorry." Michael sighed and stopped. "I'm sorry. It's not your fault, it's mine."

"Can I help?" Luke was nervous because now it was confirmed something was indeed wrong.

He had never seen Michael like this, so when the man looked at him it made his heart hurt.

"I was a bit selfish when I asked you to hang out with me over the Holidays. Calum went out of town for two days and I knew I wouldn't stand to be alone."