20 ↠ little cutie

love me! i love you.

Luke

"Who's the cutest boy?" Michael said as he picked up one of the pups that were brought in for their first checkup.

You, Luke, thought to himself as he weighted the second one and tied a green ribbon around her neck. It was green for the female pups and orange for the male pups.

He carefully gave her a shot and inserted a microchip.

Their mum was lying on the floor unbothered as she fed the rest of her litter.

"First one done." He said with a smile on his face. It was the first time he was in charge of the clinic. Michael was a great help when it came to computer work and inventory but human and dog anatomy were quite different.

Michael was still amazing as he handled the pups incredibly and most importantly was there to support Luke if he needed anything.

One thing that annoyed Luke was that the older man was quiet most of the time, not wanting to bother Luke. It was too quiet in the room and he wasn't used to it as doctor Clifford was the biggest chatterbox he knew.

"I need to ask you something." He said as he was done with the second puppy and returned it to his mum.

Michael looked at him with sparkles in his eyes. Sometimes Luke was afraid Michael will start a fire in his own eyes.

"It's Erin's birthday soon." He smiled thinking about his sister.

"Oh, how old will she be?"

"Fifteen," Luke whispered still a bit surprised his little sister wasn't so little anymore.

"Ooo. She'll start dating soon." Michael grinned and Luke frowned at him but ignored his words. If it'd be up to him, she wouldn't ever be allowed to date.

"She's having a birthday party the weekend after next one. And since she's too cool to have her parents there, I'm in charge of chaperoning."

"She actually said that?" Michael asked in disbelief. He knew Erin and knew she loved the couple who adopted her.

Luke laughed. "Of course not, that's what mum has said so she doesn't have to be there. You know she's a teacher and she needs her break from teenagers."

"Okay," Michael smiled. "What's your question?"

"It's actually hers." The third pup was on the floor even faster than the two before. Partly because Luke relaxed and partly because talking to Michael made him happier and he always worked better when he was happy.

"She wants you to come too and chaperone with me."

"Of course." Michael grinned. "What are we getting her?"

Luke's heart did a thing.

"Well, my parents are paying for her birthday party and are funding her piggy bank. She's been saving for a trip with her friends over the summer. But she's going to high school next year and I wanted to buy her a laptop. Sometimes she borrows mine but mostly uses mum's desktop computer."