1

~

I'm going to live at the emir's palace! Not live exactly, but work there. It's an amazing thing to have happened to me. It's the palace of one of the most prestigious Emirates in northern Nigeria.

" Yasmeen Sulayman Sultan gasunan sun iso (they're here!)" My mum yelled. I rushed out of the room I shared with my mum with the little belongings I owned in an old duffel bag.

I looked back and tears threatened to spill. I'm going to miss this stuffy room that constantly smelt of charcoal insence and damp wood.

When the white man said "when it rains, it pours" he wasn't kidding. My father passed almost a year ago and my mother is sick. She needs a kidney. Her blood group is O- and if you did a little biology you'd know that is almost impossible to find. One of my uncles abroad said he'd help us get it if we can raise the money. Thirty thousand dollars. I don't even know how much that is in naira but I know it's a lot. A whole lot.

I have two elder brothers. Saddam, 25 and Fahad, 22. The have both completed their degrees and have jobs. Saddam is a teacher in a private university and Fahad is an architect. Mama's treatment is swallowing their salaries which was about a million naira combined. The only thing that doesn't go into mama's treatment is money for food so there's none for my university education at the moment. At least a good university.

"In sha Allah when mama is well again, I'll take you to the best University in Africa " Sadam will always tell me. He's my favourite. Fahad was always frowning and is always strict and is always mean to me. That doesn't mean I don't love him.

I turned eighteen a month ago but it not really a thing of joy or celebration to me. The joy has been sucked out of this household. Besides, with age comes responsibility right? So why celebrate?

"Sannunku da zuwa (welcome)" I greeted my aunt who made the way for me to get a job at the palace. She's married to one of the kingmakers. Her name is Salma but we call her Umma. I don't know why. I honestly couldn't care less.

"Kin shirya? (Are you ready?)" She asks beaming at me.

"Eh (yes)" I confirmed. I hugged my mother and brothers. Tears were threatening to spill but I won't let them. I'm a big girl and big girls don't cry.

"Be good" Saddam said and Fahad just smiled at me. He was pitying me. This whole thing was my idea so I do not need him to pity me. I'm going to miss them so much.

After my father died we moved to our small two bedroom apartment in the outskirts of town. It was supposed to be for him and mama when they retire but plans changed and shit happened. So now I stay with mama in one room, and the boys stay in the other.

It was almost an hour ride to the Emir's palace which was on the other side of town. By the time we got there, my stomach was in a knot and my heart was about to shatter my rib cage with the way it was ramming against it. I am scared and that's the honest truth.

The dogarai (kingsmen) started showering my aunt with praises as soon as they see her number plate.

Gimbiya sarauniyar mata. Allah ya ja zamaninki...

In response, she crumples naira notes and hands it to them. The songs of praise multiplies.

There were people wandering all around the majestic palace. Men, women, children. We did a lot of greeting.

There were ancient clay decorations on the walls and there were cars I the garage, meaning the emir was inside! We went in through the back. It was a really big place. Like a little estate. The buildings are in clusters and somewhat confusing. I followed my aunt wordlessly.

I was asked to stay with the other helps while my aunt went to greet the emir.

The other girls stared at me hard. I've been told that I am "pretty " but all I see when I stare at the mirror is a girl with fair skin, normal eyes, aggressive eyebrows, puckered lips and a button nose. Nothing special.

My gut wrenched as reality dawned on me. I miss Abbah(father). If he was alive, his favorite child won't be a maid. Tears roll down my cheeks and I wiped them away as quickly as they appeared. This was my idea. I chose to do this. I just wish they would stop staring.

"When you wake up at six am, you are to sweep this entire quarters and mop it. Dust the furniture and fix the rooms. You'll change the sheets and curtains every Saturday and then you'll provide help in the kitchen if needed. Understood?" The queen's head maid instructed. She was a woman that looked around fifty.

"Yes Hajiya "

"You went to school, so I expect you to be smarter than these other girls. Allah ya bada sa'a"

"Ameen. Nagode"

"You'll get your pay at the end of every month. If you behave, you can get extra tips" she informs and I nod. She dismisses me. Everywhere seems clean so I guess I'll start work tomorrow. I retired to the room until my aunt was about to leave. I saw her off to the gate and on my way back, a man called me. He was sitting on a balcony with five other men. He looks like he's in his mid or late thirties. He eyed me up making me fidget.

"Gimbiya are you new here?" He asks. Gimbiya means princess. I'm anything but a princess here.

"Yes" I reply bowing slightly in respect. I didn't know who he was but it's a palace so he is most likely a royal.

"Matso kusa(come closer) why'd they bring you here?" He was looking at me creepy so I maintained my distance although he told me to come closer.

"Yar aikin matar sarki (the queen's maid)" he nodded.

"So you're always in the queen's quarters right?" He asks again. I was getting really uncomfortable with all the questions. The other men were now staring at me with different gleams in their eyes. It made me really uncomfortable.

"I don't know yet. I'm new here" I reply.

"Mhmm You may go " he says with a smile that sent chills down my spine. What was that about?

***

I was just about to finish cleaning the last room of the queen's quarters when a voice came, startling me.

"You are too beautiful to be a maid" I turned abruptly, the rag in my hand falling to the floor. It was the man from the balcony. What the hell is he doing here?!

"Ina kwana (good morning)" I greeted although my head was telling me to run. Saddam always told me not to be in secluded place with even a Male animal, much less a Male human.

"Lafiya qalau. Ya kike (how are you?)" he smiled.

"Lafiya (fine)" I replied. He said nothing else so I assumed he was going to leave so I continued dusting the furniture. I could feel his presence behind him. He was staring.

"You could be a queen you know. Actually, you deserve to be a queen " I stopped.

"No I don't "

"Yes you do. You could be my wife" I am apprehensive but I want to laugh in his face. I smile politely. Can this man leave already?

"My name is Sani. I am the emir's brother " he introduced extending his hand. I swallowed hard.

"Yasmin" I say politely, pretending I didn't see his hand. He smiles and licks his lips.

"I'll see you around " he says and turns to leave. At this point, I'm scared, disgusted, and annoyed.

A/N

HEY GUYS! SO FIRST CHAPTER IS UP AND ITS NOT REALLY THAT GOOD. BARE WITH ME. IF YOU READ 'MASK ON ' YOU'D KNOW THAT MY BEGINNINGS ARE SLOW. VOTE AND COMMENT, LETS GO ON THIS JOURNEY BABIES...❤