27

Ladies and gentlemen we are approximately seven minutes away from Murtala Muhammad international airport, Lagos. The weather is a slightly chilly 20 degrees with light showers…

Yasmeen sucked in much needed fresh air when she stepped out of the aircraft. She dialed Saddam’s number again. It rang but he didn’t pick up. He was probably driving. So she called Fahad. No answer also. Fear gripped her. As at the time she was in Charles de Gaulle yesterday, Saddam told her that they had already arrived lagos. So what seems to be the problem now?

She said a silent prayer and dialed Saddam’s number again. She didn’t know anyone or anywhere in Lagos. What would she do if they don’t come?

“hey! Kiddo” thank God.

“Saddam oh my God where did you put your phone?”

“I’m sorry Yas. The traffic is crazy and I didn’t hear it ring”

“how close are you guys?”

“10-15 minutes. get yourself something to eat before we get there”

“okay. Se kun zo(see you soon)”

She noticed two dirty looking men staring at her incessantly at the restaurant. she tried to ignore them but their shifty gaze was unnerving. Yasmeen sipped the last of her coffee and stood up to leave. Where is Saddam for God’s sake?

One of the men stood up just as she did and she instantly knew she was being followed. She sped up.

He breaks into a mini jog which was rendered inefficient because of the people loitering in the lobby. Yasmeen didn’t stop. Instead, she broke into a jog of her own. She was petrified.
she got outside the lobby just when her brothers got out of the cab. she took off, running towards them.

YASMEEN

I hugged them so hard, feeling my earlier horror seep out. Thank God!

“what's the matter kiddo? You’re shaking.” Fahad asks.

“Its these guys in the lobby. I think they were following me.” I breathed out. The brothers exchanged glances and Fahad turns to go back into the lobby.

“no Fahad! What are going to say to them? Besides I'm probably just paranoid. Lets just go please its getting dark” he nodded and then smiled.

“God ive missed you so awfully much”

***

“why did you guys pick the hotel farthest from the airport?” I laughed. We’ve been driving for over twenty minutes minus airport traffic. We were well out of the aiport now.

“its saddam’s doing” Fahad laughs.

“turn right on this street” Saddam said to the taxi man. He turned right, then right again after. That was when I noticed a car tailing us. What it happening? Before anyone could react, we were in the bushes.

“what do you think you’re doing? Get back to the road!” Fahad all but yelled. He was in the passenger’s seat. The taxi man pulled out a gun and I almost pissed myself instantly.

“my friend will you shut up! I was told you are the one with gra-gra. If you misbehave I will just scatter your head for you” the taxi man said. We were all affixed in one position. Everything happened so fast. My heart was racing in my ribcage and there was a bitter taste in my mouth.

The car tailing us came to a stop behind us. And the guys from the lobby and three others came out. My stomach dropped to my feet.

The taxi man forced us out of the car and unto our knees with his gun to fahad’s temple as leverage.