4

"Yasmeen!!!" Sani thundered. I was in the room, praying he'd let it slide. I could hear him barking at the other girls. What have we done to this man? Why can't he let us be for Allah's sake?

He flung the door open and stalked towards me. He looked livid. A vein was popping in his neck. Before I could comprehend what was happening, the back of his hand connected forcefully with my face. I instantly felt woozy. The metallic taste of blood filled my mouth. His ring had cut my lip? I don't even know.

I could see the Queen's head maid looking from the side of her eye. So she knew and saw what this man does to us on a daily? And still said and did nothing? My eyes blurred and hot tears started rolling down my face.

"So you thought you could disrespect me and get away with it,because of that little brother of yours?"

I couldn't reply. My face stung.

"Let this be the last time, I mean the very last time you would think of disrespecting me. Understood?" I nodded, scared if I didn't reply he'd hit me again.

"Use your words Yasmeen. You have a mouth "

"Yes" I croaked. He turned and left. The room reeking of his oud cologne.

I was returning from an errand for the Queen when I was called.

"Keh, zo nan( you, come here)" my heart sped up. I looked up at my caller from my right eye because the left was almost swollen shut. He was yet another man, sitting where Sani sat the first time I ever laid eyes on him. Only difference is this man is younger, 25, 26...His skin is the clearest brown skin I've ever seen. He had an 'goatee' and a thin moustache. He had strong eyebrows and deep set eyes...like my father's. My chest squeezed as I stared at him.

He was sporting a white Kaftan and his 'zanna bukar' cap was beside him on the mat. I walked up to him cautiously. Why won't these people leave me alone?

"In aka Kira ki, bai kamata ki kalli mutum cikin ido ba (when you are called, do not look your caller in the eyes)" he says arrogantly. I nodded, putting my head down. Looks like my father, but definitely not like him. My father was the most humble man I ever met.

"Me ya same ki(what happened to you?)" He asked, gesturing to my swollen face. I didn't know what lie to tell him.

"Tambaya nake(I asked a question)" he said again, impatiently.
Just when I opened my mouth to tell him I fell, Sani popped out of nowhere and sat next to the 'white Kaftan man. His eyes were on me, he looked angry?

They shook hands and 'white Kaftan ' man turned his attention back to me, expecting and answer. Sani had an amused look on his face. He wanted to hear what I'll say.

"I fell" I said without thinking. His eyebrows shot up. Probably surprised I speak English.

"From where? Hell?" He asked, with mirth in his voice. He had an accent. Canadian?

Tears stung my eyes because Sani was also laughing. I didn't reply.

"Let her go, she's just a serving girl " 'white kaftan man' did on 'oh' in realisation, then waved me off. I was full on crying by the time I turned to leave. He called me back again.

"Why are you crying now?" He asked, his brows crunched up, a sneer on his lips.
I looked directly at Sani causing "white kaftan man to look at him too. Sani tensed.

"Wuce daga nan(get away from here) Sani spits and I took that as my queue to leave. White kaftan man, dumbfounded.

It's been three months since I saw white kaftan man. Probably because Sani forbade me from talking to him or using the front palace gate, or going to the emir's quarters. He has also come to hurt me and the other girls so many times, I stopped counting. I couldn't live like this. I have to get out of here. As soon as possible.