2

YASMEEN

It's been a month and I got my pay today. To say I'm disappointed will be an understatement. Thirty thousand naira?! What will that do? I called Sadam. He told me not to worry. So I split it in two. Half goes to mama's treatment account and I keep the half. Atleast they don't have to worry about taking care of me again. That should count for something.

The emir and his wife are travelling today. The palace was rowdy in preparations. The kakaki(local hausa trumpet) was blow as they left the palace walls. I overheard the other girls saying they were going to bring someone from the airport. I'm still not friends with any of them. They still look at me like I'm an alien of some sort.

The palace was soon cleared out. Only the servants and a few unimportant people were left. I had finished my work and was having breakfast by 2pm, I have no idea where the other girls are. The door swung open and Sani walked in wearing just a pair of trousers. I bolted to my feet.

"Subahanallah" I blurted and turned away, backing him.

"Ina yini yaya Sani (good evening brother Sani)". We were instructed by the queen to call him 'Yaya' which means elder brother.

"Ya kika juya baya?( why did you look away?)" I didn't know how to respond, I stood rooted to the spot. My breathing and heart palpitations kicked up 1000. I began to pray.

"You are very beautiful Yasmeen" I didn't respond so he spoke again.

"I told you I am going to marry you so its nothing if you see me without a shirt" by now he was standing in the middle of the congested room I shared with the other maids.

"I'm not comfortable please permit me to leave" my voice came, dripping fear.

"We are not done talking and stop calling me yaya. I'm not your brother " my heart is going crazy, bad crazy. I tried to run out of the room but he was faster. He gripped my arm and yanked me towards him forcefully, his nails digging into my flesh. I cried out and bit his arm as hard as I could. He hit me hard across the face causing me to feel woozy. My face feels numb and tears started rolling down my face. I screamed for help and he hit me again. At this point, I couldn't see clearly but I caught an image of him dropping his trousers.

I cried and begged but my begging fell on deaf ears. The monster was relentless. He had an evil gleam in his eyes as he continued to hurt me. I was bleeding but he didn't care. The pain is unbearable.

"Today you've become a complete woman" he said smiling sinisterly. "Clean this mess and stop crying like a baby. And if you even think of telling anyone, wallahi I slit your brother's throat. Sadam to be exact" my heart drops. How does he know my brother?

"Or I'll just put your mum out of her misery" a chill ran down my spine and more tears ran down my face.

"Smile baby, I'm still willing to marry you" he said then exited the room, slamming the door violently. Everything crashed down on me and I couldn't breathe. I cried till I fell asleep within the bloodied sheets. My ripped clothes scattered across the room.

I was startled awake my something touching me. One of the maids, Kubra. She looks around 20. Dark skinned, short. I sat up and instinctively hugged my knees to my chest. My eyes and head hurt from crying.

"Don't worry, I won't tell anyone " I was confused. She smiled at me sadly.

"Yaya Sani has done what he did to you to all of us, so you don't need to be afraid " she confessed. I was appalled. My mouth was opening and closing, my tears were falling. "I reported to the jakadiya(queen's adviser) when it happened to me. She slashed my salary and threatened to have me flogged for lying against the emir's brother. I still couldn't form words. My wound was fresh and this information just added a whole lot of salt to it.

"What do I do?" I asked, my voice hoarse from disuse.

"Nothing. Unless you don't want to help your brothers anymore. And Sani can find you even if you leave" I didn't know what to do or how to feel. What will Sadam think of me? I'm sure he will be disgusted. After his several warnings, I still went and got myself damaged, destroyed, tainted. I've brought shame upon my family and my late father. I can't face them, I can't tell them. I can't bare Sadam being disappointed in me or mama shedding a tear because of me. Fahad might even insult me.

I should have faught harder. I should have screamed louder. I should have done something. This is all my fault.

I had showered and the bloodied sheets were burning. A large cloud of smoke surrounding me. With every breath I drew, I'd cough. Maybe if I inhaled more, it'll kill me. I moved closer to the burning pile and inhaled rapidly, coughed vigorously.

"What do you think you're doing?" His voice booms, sending my heart into a frenzy. The beast had changed into a white kaftan with matching slides. The fact that he was wearing white after what he did to me made my blood boil. I thought of all the possible ways to make him pay.

"Magana nake(I'm talking to you)"

"Nothing " I replied stepping back from the flames.

"Good. Now go and get me some food. I'll be in my room" I was shaking with rage and disgust while he simply smirked and walked away.

Kubra offered to help me serve him the food but he sent her back, requesting for me. I dropped the food and was almost at the door when he spoke.

"Shut the door and come" bile rose in my throat and hot tears burnt their way down my face. I know he threatened my family and I know he'll hit me but I did the rational thing. I ran out of the door.

There were a few people coming in and out of the palace but no one made it to the queen's quarters. No one made it to where I am. I and the other girls were retiring for the night when a violent knock came on the door. We all froze, we all knew who it was.

"Please don't open it" I stuttered, tears beginning to blur my vision. The knock came again, twice as violent.

"You all know what will happen if I knock this door again" he threatened. One of the girls, Habiba bolted to her feet and unlocked the door before we could react. He strolled in with a belt on his shoulder. An evil blanket of silence fell on the room. He asked the girls to take off their shirts and I was met with ugly scars all over their bodies.

"This is what happens when you disobey me. But since you are new, I'll let this time slide. I like you girls, don't disobey me so I won't hurt you"

"Se da safe(goodnight)"

A/N

HEY GUYSSS. WHACK CHAPTER I KNOW BUT BEAR WITH ME. I TOLD YOU MY BEGINNINGS ARE SLOW. IT'LL GET BETTER. VOTE! COMMENT!❤