10

Rimi is mourning. Emir Mustapha III passed a few hours ago. I couldn't get my head around it. Its almost unbelievable. My dad was a strong man. I grew up thinking kings don't die because of how powerful he was. I can't believe he is dead.

The palace is crawling with royals, friends and foes. Everyone was offering condolences. My mum is distraught. She was sat with her sisters in her sitting room.

Most people had a plate or cup in their hands. Almost as if they were celebrating. It pisses me off. Not being able to stand so many hypocrites, I went to my room.

****

Hours turned into days and days into months, the kingmakers were yet to officially turban me. Not that I was in a hurry but something fishy was going on and baba Sani was at the heart of it.

We were in the almost empty court room. Just a few elders, king makers, baba Sani and I. Murmurs coming from them, Baba's throne empty.

The chief adviser spoke after the long wait. "Mubasshir, you are like a son to us but we must do what is right" what is he talking about?

"We have been unable to proceed with the turbaning ceremony because there have been multiple allegations against you in the past few weeks" he spoke again.

"Allegations?"

"Yes ranka shi dade, allegations "

"What kind of allegations?" I ask. They exchange looks amongst themselves before he reduces his voice.

"Rape allegations"

"Excuse me?!" I said instantaneously, unable to stop my voice from climbing octaves.

"There is no need for alarm your majesty we are working on clearing them before they reach the ears of the people" another spoke. Are these old guys messing with me?

"Who brought forth these allegations, why now, and whom did they claim I-" I couldn't even say the word. My heart was beating so fast for so many reasons. Part hurt, part rage and part fear.

"I brought them. And they are not allegations, they are the truth. YOU RAPED MY DAUGHTER!" I looked at the tattered man. I've never seen him in my life. He looks like he could use twenty thousand naira. Yet he is here, shouting in my damn palace.

"What proof do you have? And who is this daughter of yours?" An elder asks.

"She works here in this palace!" He said. He has so much audacity for someone who is lying. I just want to beat him to a pulp.

"Can you call this daughter of yours?" They told him.

"Shigo da ita(bring her in)" he said to the guard by the door and he swung into action. This son of a b*tch is giving orders in my palace. No, something is not right here. I looked to my uncle, he just looks at me blankly, then looks away. What is happening?

A teenage girl was walked into the room. I looked at her and I looked at the man. Who are these people and why are they doing this?

"Do you know this man?" Baba Sani asked her, pointing to me.

She nodded 'yes' and my heart gave a thud. I think I'm about to have a heart attack.

"How do you know him?"

She was quiet for almost a minute.

"H-he raped m-me" she stuttered. My heart gives a louder thud. Innalillahi wa inna ilaihirrajiun. I managed to stay composed although what I want to do is yell and beat up everyone.

"Look at me and say that again" I said to her sternly, my voice cracking unnoticeably at the end. Her hands start Shaking, neck grab, change in breathing. She could not look at me.