28

MUBASSHIR

I dropped my fork on the porcelain plate with a gentle clang. That was one of the tastiest egusi soups I've had.

"Na gode aunty na. Abinci ya yi dadi (thank you. The food was delicious)" I say to her and she smiles coyly. Hammad was still lost in his plate of food. I nudged him softly and he looks up.

"Wetin happen?" He asks cluelessly. I chuckle quietly. Lucky glutton.

Hammad amd I went to the sitting room to catch the nine o'clock news headlines like we always do before retiring for the night.

In the past three months, I've known nothing but peace, relaxation and good food. I almost didn't want to leave, but i know i am inconveniencing my friend even though he'll never admit it. And I have to go and see mama soon.

"Wai ina Kabir ne?(where is Kabir)" i ask.

"Yana nan yana gantali, yaqi aure (he is still messing around. He has refused to get married)" he replied jokingly.

"That makes two of us then" I laugh.

After the news, I said my goodnights and was half way out of the sitting room when I heard 'Rimi';

"...The Rimi emirate and the family of late mallam Sulayman Sultan cordially invites all friends, family and well wishers to the wedding fatiha of the Emir; Muhammad Sani Rimi and Yasmeen Sulayman..."

I froze on the spot. No. No no no no! Please God let me be dreaming. I could move my limbs.

"Bash, you might want to see this. The devil is getting married! I wonder whose daughter he is entrapping now" Hammad said giddily.

While I told him about what has been going on with me, I left out Yasmeen entirely because what happened to her and her life is not my story to go around telling.

"Bash?" His voice came again, pulling me out of my frozen state. My heart had picked up pace and i was damn near having a full blown panic attack.

"Are you okay?" Hammad asks.

"Yeah" was all i could say, leaving  the room. I have to get back to Rimi, tomorrow.

****

"What if something bad happens to you?!" Sameerah all but whines. Hammad was hell bent on going with his friend to Rimi to fight his familial battles that did not concern him and it didn't sit well with her. The image of him nearly lifeless in the hospital bed years back still stuck with her. The thought of what could have happened...

"Nothing will happen to me! Besides, its the only way baba will let us take security " tears pricked the back of her eyes.

"Aww babyyy" Hammad drawled out with a smile and pulled her into a hug.

"Why is my mum crying?" Mahbeer asks staring at his dad pointedly after quietly walking into the dining room where they were standing.

He was the "mummy's baby" of the house. The way he adored his mum made Hammad a little jealous. And he was only six!

"I'm not crying baby. Your dad was just saying goodbye. He is travelling " she clarifies. He nods and walks to his chair at the table, waiting for breakfast. His two siblings came in shortly after.

****

They arrived Rimi some two hours later. A tinge of dread gripped Mubasshir as People stopped to look at the shiny car and the police and army escorts. No one got around with the police except the emir.

On sight of their house, Mubasshir felt a pang of pain in his heart. His mother has been alone for years, most likely heartbroken. He suddenly got angry at himself for not coming to see her as soon as he got out. Although the rational part of him knew it would have been suicide.