Past

Chapter 21 - Past

Birds were chirping and the sun was shining brightly in the blue sky with the occasional clouds lazily floating by. It was another day as you rose from your bed after a good night rest and went about doing your morning routine as you got ready for the day.

The only difference this time was that you woke up each morning with a smile gracing your lips, feeling like you were on cloud nine. After all, you were finally as free as a bird taking to the sky, its wings soaring to higher heights.

That was the best way of describing the euphoria bursting in your heart.

Humming a cheery tune, you flipped the egg with a flick of your wrist, landing perfectly on its other side in the pan. A few minutes later, your egg was done and breakfast was served.

"Itadakimasu!" You happily exclaimed with clasped hands and dug into your food.

You were halfway through eating when suddenly the handphone that was placed on the table next to you went off, indicating there was an incoming call. Placing down your fork, you picked up the device and swiped the green button, accepting the call.

"Hello? Who is this?" You asked, not sure who the person on the other line was considering you didn't check the name before answering the call.

"(Name)-chan! It's me, Izuku!" Came the familiar voice of your childhood friend, Midoriya Izuku.

Immediately you perked up as a smile began to appear on your face. It was good to hear from the green-haired boy again as it had been a while since both of you last saw each other. "Izuku-kun, how have you been?"

"I've been good," Izuku answered and you could hear the smile in his tone.

"That's great." You hummed. "So, what's up?"

"Are you free tomorrow for the entire day?" The 16-year-old asked.

Furrowing your brows, you tried to recall if you had any plans planned for tomorrow but came up with nothing. "Yeap. I don't have any plans, so I'm free. Why?"

Upon hearing that, Midoriya couldn't stop the excitement leaking into his voice as he replied, "Since this is the last week of summer vacation, our class decided to have one last gathering and just have fun for the day before the new school term starts next week. On top of that, it's also to celebrate your release from the hospital as well as being free!"

(E/C) eyes softened when you remembered the reactions you received from your classmates after sharing the good news about your situation. There were all sorts of mixed feelings - some of them were shedding tears of relief while others were simply happy for you.

You couldn't have asked for a better group of friends and you were very thankful for having the opportunity to meet them.

"That sounds lovely. I look forward to it." Your voice was thick with emotions as you willed yourself not to cry lest your omelette became salty due to your tears.

Midoriya must have sensed something was off because his voice was gentle when he spoke once more. "You've missed out on such much and we thought this will be the first of many happy memories as you begin a new chapter of your life."

Wiping away the tears that had gathered in the corners of your eyes, you nodded your head. "Thank you, Izuku-kun. Your words mean a lot to me, I really appreciate it."

"You're my first friend and the only person who ever stood up for me against Kacchan and his bullying back when we were kids. It's the least I could do." The greenette smiled upon remembering his younger days spent with the (h/c)-haired girl.