THREE

'I can explain.' Ryan states.

'You better.' Travis raises an eyebrow.

'Let's go somewhere more private.' Ryan suggests. Travis nods and they both walk into an empty room. Ryan closes the door and turns to face Travis.

'So. Why does my sister have your card?' Travis folds his arms.

'Before you say anything, I didn't know she's your sister.' Ryan starts. 'Second of all, she was walking through the park yesterday. I was on patrol. She bumped into me by accident and I could see that she was upset. When I asked if she was okay, she told me that she was fine and that she had just had a rough week but I wasn't convinced, so I gave her my card and told her to call me if she ever needed to talk or if she was ever in trouble.' He explains. Travis drops his arms. 'If I had a teenage sister and found a cop's business card in her phone case or purse or whatever, I'd be concerned too.' Travis rubs his forehead.

'Sorry, man.' Travis apologises.

'It's okay.' Ryan nods. 'Is it normal for her to run as excessively as she did today?'

'Only when she needs to distract herself from something.' Travis replies. 'I'll speak to her.' They both walk out of the room and to the nurse's station where Owen and DeLuca are stood talking. 'Is she going to be okay?' He asks the two doctors.

'You said that Brooklyn is in the foster system, right?' Owen questions.

'Yeah.' Travis nods. 'Why?'

'When the nurse was helping Brooklyn into her gown she saw some bruises on her side and chest.' DeLuca informs him. 'She's won't tell us what happened but we think that her foster parents are abusing her.'

'Let me talk to her.' Travis says. 'She might open up if it's a conversation between just me and her.' DeLuca and Owen look at each other and then back at Travis and Ryan.

'Sure.' Owen nods at Travis. 'Officer Tanner, we're still having trouble contacting Brooklyn's foster parents.'

'I'll pull in some extra resources and track them down.' Ryan says before walking away. Owen and DeLuca turn their attention back to Travis.

'You can go and speak to Brooklyn now.' Owen states.

'Thanks.' Travis smiles and nods before waking to the room where Travis is. He knocks on the side of the door and walks in. 'Hey.' He smiles.

'Hey.' Brooklyn smiles back. Travis sits in the chair beside the bed. 'Where's Karen and Mason?'

'We can't get a hold of them.' Travis shakes his head. 'So we're going to have a little chat until they get here.'

'The nurse told you about the bruises, didn't she?' Brooklyn looks down.

'Yeah.' Travis nods. 'What happened?' Brooklyn remains silent. 'You can tell me anything, Bryn. You know that.'

'It wasn't Karen and Mason if that's what you're thinking.' Brooklyn looks back up.

'What happened then?'

'I don't want to talk about it.' Brooklyn says quietly.

'Bryn-' Travis starts.

'Please.' Brooklyn cuts him off.

'Fine.' Travis sighs and nods. He reaches into his pocket and takes Brooklyn's phone out. 'This was left in the aid car.' He hands her the phone. Immediately, she takes her phone case off to look for Ryan's card. 'Here.' He hands her the card. 'Ryan already explained why you have it.'

'You know him?' Brooklyn asks.

'He's a friend.' Travis replies, nodding. 'I'm going to repeat what he told you. Call him if you ever want to talk or if you find yourself in trouble. He'll help you. Especially now that he knows you're my sister.' He says. 'And if he doesn't help you, he'll have me to deal with.' He adds causing Brooklyn to laugh. 'What's so funny?'