FOUR

Owen, DeLuca, some nurses and Travis all run into Brooklyn's room where they see her having a seizure.

'Push lorazepam!' Owen orders as he puts Brooklyn on her side. DeLuca nods, rummages through the drug cart and gets a syringe of lorazepam out. He connects it to Brooklyn's cannula and pushes it through. 'Do you know if she hit her head or not?' Owen asks, looking at Travis.

'No.' Travis shakes his head.

'Is she on any medication?' DeLuca queries.

'Not that I know of.' Travis shakes his head once more. Brooklyn stops seizing and DeLuca puts an oxygen mask over her nose and mouth.

'Let's get her for a stat head CT scan and page Dr Shepherd.' Owen says to DeLuca. DeLuca nods and walks out. Owen turns to Travis. 'Are you allowed to make decisions on her behalf?'

'What are you saying?' Travis raises an eyebrow. 'She may need surgery?'

'It's possible.' Owen nods.

'I should be able to.' Travis smiles. 'Just do whatever you need to do. Her foster parents would say the same.' DeLuca walks back in.

'CT are ready.' He informs Owen. Owen nods and raises the side of the bed whilst DeLuca raises the other side. One nurse stands behind the head of the bed and unclamps it before taking Brooklyn to the CT scanner with DeLuca close behind them.

'You can wait in the waiting area. Someone will come and find you when we're done.' Owen tells Travis. 'Or do you need to go back to work?'

'My captain has given me the rest of the shift off.' Travis tells him. 'I'll wait with her until her foster parents.'

'If you go to the ER waiting room, I will come and find you once we're done.' Owen replies. 'I've got to go and catch up with them but I will come and find you once we've got the results of her CT scan.'

'Thank you.' Travis nods. Owen smiles and walks away. After a few minutes, Travis walks to the ER waiting room, sits down in a chair and puts his head in his hands.

Meanwhile, in the radiology department, Amelia Shepherd is reviewing Brooklyn's head CT with Owen and DeLuca.

'This girl wasn't brought in for a head injury?' Amelia asks.

'No.' DeLuca shakes her head.

'Strange.' Amelia states.

'Why?' Owen looks at her.

'She has minor swelling on her brain and what looks like multiple contusions. She also has a fracture at the base of her skull.' Amelia points at the areas of the scan she's talking about.

'I'll call CPS.' Owen stands up.

'Woah, woah, woah!' Amelia stops him. 'We shouldn't rush to conclusions.'

'I'm not.' Owen shakes his head. 'She's already in the system. Her foster parents are on her way. I don't want to send her back with them until I know that they're not abusing her.' He's about to walk out of the room when the machines Brooklyn is hooked up to start blaring again. The three doctors run into the scanner room and pull her out.

'SATs are 85.' DeLuca tells them. '84.'

'Chest expansion is uneven.' Amelia points out. Owen listens to her chest.

'Massively reduced breath sounds on the right.' Owen says.

'Pneumothorax.' They state together.

'I'll get a chest tube tray.' DeLuca runs out of the room and a couple of minutes later, he returns. Amelia is intubating Brooklyn.

'SATs dropped to 74.' Owen tells him. Owen and DeLuca gown up for the insertion of the test tube, puts the gloves on and preps Brooklyn. By now, Amelia has intubated Brooklyn.