TWENTY-FOUR

Three months later

Travis is standing in front of his mirror. Grant walks up behind him and helps Travis straighten up his tie.

'Are you ready?' Grant asks him.

'No.' Travis sighs as he turns to face his boyfriend. 'She was my little sister. She was getting better and then-' he stops, not being able to continue.

'It was sepsis, Trav.' Grant says. 'She didn't have any of the classic signs or symptoms.'

'The only reason they caught it was because her kidneys and liver were failing.' Travis states, his eyes filling with tears. 'I'm trained to spot the signs of sepsis and yet I didn't!' He says louder. 'I could have saved her!'

'Travis, Bryn wouldn't want you to do this to yourself. She wouldn't want you blaming yourself. You are not to blame. No one is.' Grant says softly.

'What am I going to without her?' Travis' voice breaks. 'I had literally only just become her legal guardian. I was gonna take her out shopping to decorate her room. I was gonna help her decorate her room. I-'

'Trav, stop.'  Grant cuts him off. 'Don't do this to yourself. You need to be strong for this service.'

'I can't.' Travis shakes his head. 'I didn't even get to say a proper goodbye. She was either sedated or intubated the whole time. I didn't get to tell her how much I love her.'

'She knew how much you loved her. We all know how much you loved her.' Grant assures him. 'This is your chance to say goodbye properly. I will be by your side throughout it all.' He looks at his watch. 'Let's go. We're gonna be late.'

.

Arriving at the church, Travis greets everybody that has arrived. As he's doing so, he spots Ben Platt and Brendon Urie. Travis walks over to them.

'You two didn't have to come.' Travis tells them.

'Yes,' Ben nods, 'we did.' 

'Brooklyn saved my life.' Brendon states. 'The least I could do is be here and support you.' 

'Thank you.' Travis nods appreciatively. He sees the vicar standing at the door. 'We better head in.' Everyone files into the church and sits down. After the opening, the Vicar calls Travis up to deliver the eulogy. He stands at the lectern and clears his throat.

'Bryn, as a child, was always lively. She was energetic and that never left her. She could brighten up anybody's day. Bryn and I were always close, even when she went into the system, we'd always find a way to stay in touch and see each other. She went through a lot and she soldiered through that. She stayed strong. You might have noticed some charity boxes when you walked in. Bryn didn't die of her injuries. She died of sepsis. A serious infection. She didn't have any of the classic signs and symptoms but the nurses caring for her failed to carry out the routine checks to check for infection, so I'd like to raise money for the Sepsis Alliance. This will go towards training health care professionals to spot the less known symptoms of this deadly infection. It's what Bryn would have wanted.' Travis delivers his short eulogy before stepping down and rejoining his friends. 

.

At the burial ground, everyone is gathered around where Bryn will be buried. Right next to Michael. As the coffin gets lowered into the ground, Ben and Brendon both sing one of Brooklyn's favourite songs, Lost Without You by Freya Ridings. Alyssa stands by Travis and he brings her in for a hug.

'Goodbye, Bryn.' He whispers.

~~~~~

THE END!

Hope you enjoyed! 

Much love