TWENTY-THREE

'Are you AB+?' Owen asks Travis.

'No.' Travis shakes his head.

'I am.' Brendon states, appearing in the doorway. (P/N: I don't actually know Brendon Urie's blood type, let's just say it's AB+ for the purpose of this story)

'You should be in bed.' Owen tells him.

'I saw Travis running towards here and figured that something had happened to Brooklyn.' Brendon says. 'I didn't lose that much blood because of Brooklyn. She saved my life. Let me donate my blood to save Brooklyn's life.' Owen thinks for a few moments.

'Okay.' Owen eventually nods. 'We can do a transfusion straight for your body into Brookyln.'

'Owen, are you crazy?!' Maggie hisses.

'It's our only option.' Owen says. 'We did it all the time out in the field.' He looks at Travis. 'Do you consent?' 

'Do what you need to do to save my baby sister.' Travis nods. 

'Brendon.' Owen motions for Brendon to walk into the room. Brendon does so. 'Sit in the chair.' Owen quickly inserts the needle for the transfusion and connects it to Brooklyn. 'We can't take much, the moment you start to feel dizzy, you let us know.'

Six hours have passed. Twenty minutes after opening Brooklyn up in the pit, an OR became available and so they moved her up there. She still hasn't come out. Travis is pacing around the family room. The rest of 19, Ryan,  Grant, Alyssa and Ben Platt have joined him.

'They haven't updated us in a while.' Travis states. 'I-I can't lose her.' 

'Bryn is strong.' Grant assures him. 'She'll pull through this.' 

Another hour has passed. Amelia, Owen and Maggie walk into the family room. 

'Travis?' Owen states. Travis and Grant stand up and walk towards the doctors. Before they can start talking, Travis looks back at Alyssa. 

'Alyssa?' Travis motions her to walk over to them. Alyssa stands up and joins them. Travis looks at the doctors. 'How-how is she?'

'She lost a lot of blood.' Owen tells him. 'She's still having blood transfusions and we're going to keep her sedated and ventilated for a while.' 

'We removed two out of three bullets.' Amelia states. 'One of the bullets is dangerously close to the spinal cord and since we've discovered that there is already damage to the spinal cord, I thought it was best that we leave it.'

'Spinal cord damage?' Alyssa gasps. 'Is she paralysed?' 

'It's too early to tell.' Amelia states. 'We're going to do daily MRI and CT scans alongside constant function tests.' 

'We would also like to inform you that the Catherine Fox Foundation, Seattle Pride and Brendon Urie have all agreed to cover all costs of her medical bills.' Maggie informs them with a slight smile. 'You'll meet with them and our legal and financial teams in about a week to discuss everything further.'

'In the meantime, we can take you to see her.' Amelia states. 'But only you three for now.' They lead Travis, Grant ad Alyssa to the ICU. She's got a breathing tube, a feeding tube and a chest tube. 

'She looks so peaceful.' Travis says quietly. He walks into the room and sits beside her bed. 

'How long will be like this?' Grant asks the doctors. 

'It's hard to say.' Owen replies. 'Her body has been through so much trauma already. It could be days, it could be weeks or it could be a month.' 

'Whilst we were waiting in the family room, Trav got a call from CPS.' Grant starts. 'They heard about what happened - Travis is now Brooklyn's legal guardian - I can't remember what they called it - an emergency grant I think.' 

'Yeah.' Owen nods. They all walk to beside the bed and see that Travis is holding Brooklyn's hand. 

'I'm so sorry, Bryn.' He whispers with tears in his eyes. 'I've failed you. I promised that I'd protect you and I failed. I'm so sorry.' 

~~~~

Just a short chapter to get back into writing this!

Let me know what you think!

Much love