FIVE

It's a few days later, Travis walks onto the ICU and to Brooklyn's room. When he walks into her room, he smiles. Brooklyn is sat up in bed on her phone.

'You get a tube taken out of your mouth and get woken up and don't call or text me?' He asks. Brooklyn looks at him and grins. She places her phone down.

'Well, Dr Hunt said that you've been coming at exactly the same times for the past couple of days so I didn't see the point.' Brooklyn tells him. Travis walks up to Brooklyn and tightly hugs her. Brooklyn gasps. 'Trav, I've still got the chest tube in.'

'Right.' Travis parts from her and sits down in the chair. 'How's the head?'

'Not bad.' Brooklyn shakes her head. 'They've got me dosed up on pain meds.'

'Now, are you going to tell me what happened?' Travis asks. Brooklyn looks down.

'You already know so there's no point.' Brooklyn mumbles. She looks back up at him. 'Just drop it.' She tells him. 'I don't want to talk about it.'

'At least tell me why.' Travis says. 'Why would they do this to you? Are they-?'

'Travis! I said that I don't want to talk about it!' Brooklyn exclaims. Owen then walks in.

'Everything okay in here?' Owen questions.

'Yeah.' Brooklyn nods. 'Everything's fine.' Owen walks to beside Brooklyn's bed.

'I'm just going to check your chest tube and then do another neuro exam.' Owen tells her. As he checks the chest tube and does the neuro exam, he talks with Brooklyn. 'How have you been since we checked on you earlier?'

'Better.' Brooklyn replies. 'Although my throat still hurts.'

'That's normal.' Owen nods. He looks at the jug on the side table and sees that it's empty. He looks back at Brooklyn. 'Do you want me to get some more water for you?'

'Yes please.' Brooklyn smiles. By now, Owen has finished all of the checks.

'Everything seems to be normal.' Owen tells them. 'Are your foster parents coming by, I need to discuss the rest of your treatment plan with them.'

'They should be by later this afternoon.' Brooklyn replies. 'They haven't been able to get any time off work so they'll be by once they're finished. I think they're bringing some fresh clothes for me.' She adds. 'Anyways, when can I get out of here?'

'Desperate to get out of here?' Owen laughs.

'Bryn doesn't like hospitals.' Travis states. 'Or fire stations for that matter.'

'It's a long story.' Brooklyn says. 'Something I'd rather not talk about.'

'Right.' Owen nods. 'We're going to keep you in for at least another week and then we'll re-evaluate.'

'Ugh.' Brooklyn groans. She looks at Travis.

'That's good.' Travis tells her. 'It could be worse.'

'Would I at least be able to go for walks?' Brooklyn looks at Owen.

'It's not advisable.' Owen shakes his head. 'If you leave this room it'd have to be in a wheelchair.'

'I guess it's better than being stuck in here.' Brooklyn sighs. Alex Karev then joins them.

'Brooklyn, this is Dr Karev. He's one of our chief of paediatric surgery. He'll be overseeing your care with me.' Owen introduces Alex to Brooklyn.

'Hi, Brooklyn.' Alex smiles.

'Hi.' Brooklyn smiles back.

'I will leave Dr Karev to talk with you whilst I go and refill your water jug.' Owen says. He picks up the water jug from the side table and leaves.