SEVENTEEN

'You'd really do that?' Travis queries.

'Of course.' Ryan nods. 'Brooklyn needs somewhere stable to stay. When she's at mine, she can see you whenever she wants and you can see her whenever you want. I'll still make sure that she still goes to school and that she does all of her homework.' 

'Thank you.' Travis smiles. 

'What are friends for, hey?' 

It's been a week. Brooklyn has moved into Ryan's house. Ryan has gotten her settled in his spare bedroom whilst Travis sorts out the foster-to-adopt paperwork and CPS clears him as a carer. It's Monday morning, Brooklyn wakes up and gets out of bed. She puts on her robe and sliders before walking downstairs and to the kitchen where Ryan is. 

'Morning.' Ryan smiles.

'Morning.' Brooklyn smiles back. She makes herself a bowl of cereal and sits down at the table.

'Do you need a lift to school?' He asks her.

'No, thanks.' Brooklyn shakes her head. 'Alyssa is going to come by and pick me up.' 

'Are you sure that you're ready to go back to school?' Ryan questions. 'It is your first day back after-' 

'I'll be fine.' Brooklyn replies, cutting him off. 'I need to go back sooner or later. I'm on a reduced timetable for a few weeks so I'm only in for the morning. Didn't my social worker call you?' Ryan shakes his head. 'No surprise there then.' Brooklyn sighs. 

'Well, I'm at work until eight.' 

'I've got a driving lesson this afternoon anyway and then Alyssa and I are meeting up back at her house.' Brooklyn tells him. 'I'll be back before then anyway.' 

'Do you want me to pick up some pizza on my way home?' 

'Sure.' Brooklyn nods. She looks at the clock and sees that she's running late. 'I better go get ready. Alyssa will be here in 45 minutes.' 

'Surely it doesn't take you that long to get ready.' Ryan laughs.

'Well, I need to pick out my outfit, do my hair and my make-up on top of having a wash and brushing my teeth.' Brooklyn says. She finishes her bowl of cereal and walks back up to her room to get ready. Once she's had a wash and brushed her teeth, she brushes her hair and does her makeup before getting dressed for the day. As she's finishing getting ready, Alyssa pulls up outside. She gets out, walks up the path to the house and knocks on the door. Ryan walks up to his front door and opens it. 

'Hey, Alyssa.' Ryan smiles. 'Come in.' Ryan lets the young girl in.

'Thank you.' Alyssa grins as she steps into the foyer of the house.

'She's still getting ready.' Ryan tells her.

'Of course, she is.' Alyssa laughs. 

'Brooklyn!' Ryan shouts. 'Alyssa's here!' After a few minutes, Brooklyn comes running down the stairs.

'Bryn.' Ryan states. Brooklyn turns to face him. 'If you feel that you need to leave school, call me or Trav. Okay?' 

'Yeah.' Brooklyn nods. 'I'll see you tonight.' She gives him a quick hug before leaving with Alyssa.

.

When Brooklyn and Alyssa arrive at school, they go around the back of the gym. They sit on the floor with their backs against the wall. Alyssa rummages through her bag, takes out a box of cigarettes, hands one to Brooklyn and takes one for herself. Alyssa lights her cigarette with her lighter before handing the lighter to Brooklyn. Once Brooklyn has lit her cigarette, she hands the lighter back to Alyssa. As they smoke, they talk.