TWENTY-ONE

As Brendon and Brooklyn are posing for their final picture, they hear a loud bang making Brooklyn jump. 

'It's probably just a firework.' He tells her.

'At 2 pm?' Brooklyn raises an eyebrow. They then hear more bangs, this time there's more, one after another, followed by screaming. 'They're not fireworks.' Brooklyn shakes her head. 'They're gunshots.'  As they go to take cover, some more gunshots ring and Brendon drops the ground. Brooklyn rushes to him and kneels down beside him. She sees blood seeping through his shirt. 'Crap.' She whispers under her breath. 'Trav!' She shouts as she looks around for him. 'Travis!' It's no use, Travis has gotten lost in the crowd and the commotion makes it impossible for her shouts for help to be heard. Brooklyn thinks for a minutes before quickly taking her jacket off. She lifts Brendon's top up to see where the bullet holes are. Locating the wounds, she scrunches her jacket into a ball and applies pressure.

Meanwhile, at Grey Sloan, Teddy and Miranda walk into the pit. Miranda stands on a chair. 

'Listen up!' She shouts. Everyone stops what they're doing and turns to face them. 'We've just had a called from Seattle S.W.A.T.' 

'There has been a mass shooting at the Seattle Pride Festival.' Teddy adds. Everyone starts whispering amongst themselves. 'They don't know how many are injured, they just know that it's a lot.'

'They're requesting that we send a team of doctors to assist. Teams of doctors from surrounding hospitals will also be going to assist.' Miranda continues. She looks at Owen. 'Hunt, gather up a team and head out. They're expecting you in ten minutes max The aid car will be waiting for you outside.' Owen nods and walks off to gather up a team. 'Everyone else, clear out the pit! Send non-emergent patients in the waiting area home, discharge and transfer as many patients as you can. Be on standby, we'll be receiving the majority of the patients. We can expect the first wave in the next ten to fifteen minutes!' 

Back at the festival, Brooklyn is still with Brendon. Travis hasn't managed to find his way to her yet so she assumes, and hopes, that he's helping someone. She looks down at Brendon and sees that he's starting to lose consciousness. 

'Talk to me.' Brooklyn tells him. 'You need to stay awake.' 

'You'd make a good medic.' Brendon tells her. 

'My brother is always teaching me what to do in emergencies.' Brooklyn smiles slightly. 'This is gonna hurt.' She pushes down harder to apply more pressure and Brendon groans in pain. 'Sorry.' 

'Don't apologise.' Brendon laughs weakly. 'You're trying to save my life.' He adds. 'A lot of people would have freaked out if they saw someone get shot right in front of their eyes.' 

'Well, when you've been through as much shit as I've been through, you kinda learn to not freak out.' Brooklyn says. 

At the entrance to the festivals, all the doctors from the surrounding hospitals are arriving. They all gather around the S.W.A.T commander. 

'We have two of three shooters in custody.' The commander informs them. 'We've got a team in there now hunting down the other shooter. One of the shooters was shot so we'll need someone to take a look at him. A medic who was at the festival is with him.' 

'I'll go.' Owen stands forward. He follows one of the S.W.A.T officers to where they have detained the shooter. When they arrive, Owen sees Travis. 'Travis?' Owen asks surprised as he walks up to Travis and the shooter. 'What have we got?' The shooter is lying down on a table. Owen puts a pair of gloves on. 

'GSW to the upper abdomen.' Travis tells him. Owen does a primary survey. 'Pulse is stable. There hasn't been much bleeding. BP is stable but low.'