SIXTEEN

'This is exactly what happened last time.' Travis sighs as he rubs his forehead. 

'What do you mean?' Owen asks. 

'After the fire, she refused to talk to anyone.' Travis tells him. 'She'd just sit in the bed staring at the wall. Is that what she's doing now?' Owen simply nods. 

'She's spoken a little bit but not that much.' Owen says. 'She's having daily psyche evaluations but given that she's not speaking, they will be extending the hold.' Travis sighs. 'There's one thing that I definitely need to speak to you about, though - Bryn's foster parents are still listed as her next of kin. I've got the paperwork for you to be listed as next of kin behind the nurse's station. I'm assuming you'd want to be the one making all the decisions rather than CPS.' 

'Erm-yeah. Of course.' Travis nods. 

'Come with me.' Owen tells him. Travis follows Owen to the nurse's station. Owen walks behind the desk and finds the paperwork needed. He attaches it all to a clipboard and hands it to Travis alongside a pen. 'It might take a while to fill them out so you're better off sitting down in the waiting area to do it.' Travis nods and walks to the waiting area where he sits down and fills out the forms. After fifteen minutes, he's done. He walks back up to the nurse's station where Owen is sat and hands the clipboard and pen back. 'I'll get a nurse to update her chart.' He notices the look on Travis' face. 'She'll come around.' Owen reassures him. 'It's going to be a long road getting back to normal but she'll get there.'

'It's not the recovery I'm worried about.' Travis shakes his head. 'It's the being in hospital I'm worried about.'

'We're going to keep an eye on her. I promise.' Owen says. 'Dr Avery and I are checking on her at different points throughout the day and the psyche nurses check on her every half an hour.'

'I just don't know what to do.' Travis shakes his head. 'I don't know whether to go or stay or-'.

'Go get some sleep.' Owen states. Travis looks at him confused. 'You look like you've been up half of the night.'

'Yeah, I couldn't sleep.' Travis responds. 'The amount of tossing and turning I did throughout the night drove my partner crazy.' Owen looks around the nurse's station and finds a leaflet. He picks it up and fiddles with it.

'Y'know, we offer a support group for families who have teens with PTSD. It might--' Owen starts to say hut Travis cuts him.

'Bryn doesn't have PTSD.' Travis shakes his head.

'In her chart, it says that she was diagnosed with PTSD mid last year.' Owen informs him.

'Are you sure it's my Brooklyn? You haven't got her mixed up with another Brooklyn?' Travis questions.

'There's no mistake.' Owen shakes his head.

'She-she didn't tell me.' Travis says quietly.

'It's hard to admit that you have PTSD.' Owen states. 'Trust me, it took me a long time to admit that I have PTSD and accept help. Brooklyn is going to need you more than ever.' He hands over the leaflet and Travis takes it.

'Thanks.' Travis smiles slightly. 'If she changes her mind, will you-?'

'We'll call you.' Owen nods.

.

It has been a few days. Brooklyn still won't see or talk to Travis but she will talk to Owen, Ryan and Jackson. Despite Brooklyn not wanting to see him, Travis has still been going to the hospital just in case. As Ryan has a couple of weeks off work, he has been sitting with Brooklyn. Finally, after much thought and consideration, he decides to bite the bullet and ask Brooklyn why she won't see or speak to Travis.