ten

THANKSGIVING

•••

Bethany stood by her parent as they shivered in the cold. She grabbed onto her hat pulling it down as the wind whipped her blonde hair around,

"Laurie's bus isn't here yet, dad," Eric said as he ran out of the bus station, clutching his jacket around him. "Can we get in the car and turn the heat on? I'm freezing." Eric begged.

"I'm not wasting gas so you can be comfortable," Their father snapped.

"But, daddy please?" Bethany whined, "I can't feel my face."

"You heard what I said to your brother." Red reminded her.

"Can we at least go wait inside?" Baby said gesturing to the building.

"Oh I'm not going in there with those people." Kitty shook her head quickly looking around warily at the people. "Oh, Eric I forgot to tell you, Laurie is bringing her friend home so you'll be sleeping in the basement."

Bethany winced, she felt bad for her brother. The basement was creepy at night, especially when you were alone. She was very thankful at this moment that she didn't have to give up her room.

"The basement! They should sleep in Laurie's room, or Beth's!" Eric complained.

"Oh and Red, I've been thinking, maybe this Thanksgiving we skip the big turkey, the little ones are on sale at Piggly Wiggly." Kitty said looking to her husband as she rocked back and forth to keep warm.

"This family doesn't scrimp on holidays! Can you imagine my mother sitting down to a chicken?" Red said firmly.

"Your mother doesn't eat my cooking anyways, Red so that won't be a problem." Kitty said rolling her eyes.

Baby rolled her eyes in return. She wasn't particularly fond of her grandmother's backhanded compliments and poor attitude, especially towards her sweet mother. Bethany always stayed pleasant towards her grandmother for her dad's sake but the old woman sure made it hard to keep a smile on your face.

"Mommy! Daddy! This is Kate." Laurie's voice cheered as she ran out of the bus station with her friend.

Laurie paused for a moment when her eyes landed on her little sisters rosy cheeks and chattering teeth, "Daddy she's freezing! You couldn't have waited inside?" The older blonde said as she hugged Bethany and then her parents.

Eric was getting ready to fire back a remark but was stopped short when his eyes landed on Kate, presumably Laurie's friend from college. His jaw dropped and his eyes widened, it was quite the scene he put on. Bethany reached over and smacked him upside the back of his head as she walked back to the car.

✽ ✾ ✽

They all sat gathered around a table at The Hub. Bethany walked over carrying a soda, she had just finished up her shift and was very thankful for that because her friends made her work extremely hard.