fifty eight

THE IDENTIFICATION

•••

Hyde and Bethany sat together in the basement watching El Topo on cable.

Resting a hand on Baby's stomach, Hyde rubbed his thumb over her four month bump.

"I feel fat." Baby complained as she looked down at herself, "I've gained like seven pounds and now the only pants I can wear have elastic bands."

"You look fine, darlin'."

"Thank, God it's summertime and I can get away with skirts." She rested her head on his shoulder and he kissed the top of her head,

"I like you better in skirts,"

"Why's that?" She asked,

"Easy access." He smirked as Baby smacked him playfully,

"You're nasty." She scrunched up her nose and laughed.

Ruining their moment, Kelso ran into the basement and pushed them on opposite sides of the couch and sat between them.

"I need to know what to do on a first date with a woman who's carrying my child." Michael looked between them.

"Hold her while she weeps." Hyde spoke sarcastically as Baby flicked his temple.

"Hey, wait, what if you guys came to dinner with me and Brooke? Make it easier to find stuff to talk about." Michael suggested,

"No." Hyde answered shortly, "No, man there's no way I'm going on a date with my pregnant wife that didn't want to be pregnant or my wife, with your new girlfriend that doesn't want to be your girlfriend but is pregnant with your child."

Holding up her finger to clarify, "It's not that I didn't want to marry you it's just that I didn't want to marry you at gunpoint." Bethany said.

"Come on, guys can you just do me this one favour?" Michael pleaded.

"Kels, we do you a lot of favours. Just last week I had to butter your head cause you got it stuck between the banisters." Baby refreshed the memory.

"I'll pay for dinner." Michael looked between them,

"I'm in." Hyde and Kelso sat back with their arms over their chest and smiles on their faces.

"Well then, I guess I'm gonna have to find something to wear." Baby sighed, "Don't get me wrong, I'm happy you and Brooke are working things out and that your baby is gonna have a father; but I'm gonna have to look prettier than her."