thirty five

THE RENO

•••

It had been a couple of days since the party for Hyde, and Bethany had been working at The Hub non-stop and avoiding the basement almost entirely — and the lack of popsicles was beginning to take a tole on her.

Donna and her were busy shopping because Bethany would only agree to hang out places that weren't her house, as she was worried she would run into Hyde.

"Baby, —"

"Don't you start with that." She whined, flicking through racks of overall dresses.

Donna chuckled, "Oh, come on, Baby just rolls off the tongue better than Beth does."

"Alright, Donna, I'll allow it. But just because I like you." She flashed a soft smile and she grabbed a red corduroy overall dress.

"So, Baby, why haven't you been in the basement the last couple of days?" She turned to her friend, draping a pair of pants over her arm.

Beth shrugged as she grabbed two more of the same style in black and in denim, "I've been picking up more shifts at The Hub."

"But why?" Donna pressed as she looked through the shirts that hung on a circular rack.

"I need money for life and getting out of this town. And for school, I don't expect my parents to fork over that much money, especially when Eric will probably be going too."

"First thing, stop saying you're going to leave this place, I know you won't. Second, Eric isn't gonna leave for school," Donna laughed, "He could barely pass gym."

Baby chuckled, "I know, isn't that embarrassing? All you have to do is show up, and that's how you get the credit. And I am too leaving, I already know where I wanna go first." She stuck out her tongue and walked forward to look at the sweaters that were folded neatly on a shelf.

"Oh, yeah? Where's that," Donna smirked, still not believing in her friends life long dream of leaving.

"New York City, or London, England. That's where all the music is happening." She smiled as her mind drifted into a day dream, "Who knows, maybe I'll meet George Harrison and fall madly in love."

"That's not likely to happen," Donna chuckled,

"That's fine, I'll settle for Paul or Ringo too."

"Not John?"

"He doesn't know what he wants. I need a man who is sure of himself."

Donna rolled her eyes and laughed at her friend, "Whatever you say, Baby."

"Okay, Dee, let's not over do it." Baby warned sarcastically, "I think I've got more than I came looking for,"

"We didn't come looking for anything," Donna reminded.