fourty one

THE SUMMER OF '78

•••

"Baby...I—" Hyde stopped himself and sighed, running his hand frustratedly through his hair.

She exhaled deeply as a tear slipped down her cheek. She wiped it away quickly not wanting to show her emotions, "Steven, I can't keep going back and forth through all of this. I need to know."

Hyde stayed silent and clenched his jaw in attempts to keep his emotions under wraps.

Beth stepped forward and placed her hands on his stubbly cheeks, caressing them with her thumbs, "Just say it," she whispered looking at his lips then to his eyes.

"Baby, I want you to be happy."

"Do you want me to be happy with you or with him?" She raised her eyebrow, just hoping for a straightforward answer.

"I want you to be with me, Beth. And these last few months have been killing me but you need to know that I'm never leaving Point Place. I'm probably going to stay here forever and end up like my dad. And you deserve better than that."

"So what are you saying?" She frowned, backing away from him, letting her arms cross over her chest.

"I'm saying that this is about what you want. I shouldn't be swaying you one way or the other." He bit his lip again and stuffed his hands into his pockets.

Beth ran a hand through her long blonde hair with her bottom lip jutted out in a pout. She walked forward and hugged him tightly, resting her head on his chest as she took in his scent of cheap cologne, marijuana, and mint gum.

After a few moments she pulled her head back and looked up to find him already looking down at her. He moved his hand to her chin and leaned down to kiss her.

PRESENT DAY

"Hey, Beth, what are you thinking about?" Sam questioned, sitting down next to Baby on the sand.

She had her legs pulled to her chest and rested her cheek on the top of her knee while the wind whipped her hair around,

"I just can't believe I'm here." She smiled,

Sam wrapped an arm around her shoulders and planted a kiss on her forehead as he flashed a grin of his own, "I love having you here."

She leaned in and kissed him gently, holding some of her hair out of the way.

He pulled back and smiled at her, "I love you."

"I love you too," she answered back without hesitation.

"Come on, lets go out for lunch then I'll take you to some of my favourite shops." He suggested as he stood up and brushed the sand off of himself.