fifty three

THE COUNTDOWN TO FOREVER

•••

Upstairs in the Forman household, Bethany laid in her bed with her head on Steven's chest.

Steven rested his hand on the unoccupied side of his chest with his other arm tucked underneath his head. The two of them laid together peacefully without disruption.

The blonde stared across her room, looking out past her window at the trees that separated her house from Donna's. As she listened to the beating of Steven's heart she lifted her chin and rested it where her cheek had been,

"You really want to go through with this wedding?" She looked up at him.

"Obviously I'm not thrilled it's happening this way,"

"But you don't feel pressured into it? I know the idea of forever freaks you out."

"Baby, this is the way I think about it," he tilted his chin to look at her better, "Marriage isn't any more permanent than a kid."

She bit down on her bottom lip, "I guess you're right."

She hadn't thought about it that way.

He cleared his throat becoming tense from the emotionally driven conversation,

"I wanna be with you anyway and I just assume you want to be with me."

"I do! Of course I do." Bethany pushed herself up so she was sitting,

"I sort of hoped we'd get married when we were older. You know like breaching thirties and I'd be nagging you for a ring and you'd be telling me to get off your case because you hate the idea of the government getting more involved with your life. But in the end we'd just have a small little gathering with our friends and exchange rings. No paper. No government. No fuss."

"Well that is kind of what we're doing," Hyde reminded her.

"You don't mind the government part?" Her face softened and her lips curved into a slight smile.

"Nah," he pursed his lips, "Not if it means if I get you, doll."

"Oh you're a sweet talker," she giggled hovering her face over his.

"Don't get too used to it. You'll start to resent me by the third anniversary," he joked.

"Well until then..." she trailed off as she closed the gap between them by connecting their lips.