[ Gintoki ]

A blanket of warmth envelops your face as trickles of sunlight intrude through feeble blinds. Unfortunately, the unwanted visitor grabs onto you and lulls you into a state of conciousnessIn your frenzy of playing tug-of-war with the morning sunshine, there’s one thing that never leaves your mind. You should have bought better blinds.

Or, you shouldn’t have let Gin spend all that extra cash on pachinko.

With a huff of irritation, your eyes land on the said silver-haired man sleeping soundly beside you. He wears complete innocence, eyelids closed against the soft rays of dawn—as if there isn’t any rent to pay, nor food to worry about. A face so tranquil, your annoyance dissipates. 

Sighing in defeat, you realize you can never really stay mad at this man. 

“Gin,” you whisper, shaking his shoulder gingerly, “you have that job to do in an hour. You’ll end up late if you keep sleeping.”

He grumbles a short ‘mmm’ in reply. 

As expected, the statement doesn’t phase him at all. Sakata Gintoki has never been a morning person nor an early riser. Well, except for the rare occasions Ketsuno Ana’s morning forecast is broadcasted before the crack of dawn. 

But today isn’t your lucky day, so you change tactics.

With much more fervor, you tug onto the blanket on top of him and pull. The sudden action successfully jerks him awake and you find his eyes boring into yours with obvious irritation.

“Oi…” Gintoki begins, fingertips inching towards the bedsheet in your hands. “Didn’t I say ‘five more minutes’?” 

Oh? You did?” your voice drips with sarcasm. “All I heard was a ‘mmm’, and my Gin-kun morning response translator says that it means ‘please wake me up!’ But I guess it might have worked better if a certain someone bought new curtains when I told him to…” 

“You vixen.”

How difficult you are, teasing the sleepy man all for the sake of satisfying your own spite. But it’s an eye for an eye, after all. You know you’re being childish, but Sakata Gintoki’s not the only one who dislikes mornings. 

At what seems like retaliation, the silver-haired man clasps your wrist and pulls you beside him. The warmth of his body caresses your own, your head pressing against his chest, and arm wraps around your waist.

“Sleep,” he says absently, probably too tired to argue with you further. 

“I have to get up soon,” you say, and it seems more like a declaration towards yourself. Reluctance to leave the sheets and man enclosing you in his arms slowly invades your mind. 

And maybe it’s too late, you decide, all too complacent and all too warm.

So you add, “maybe a few more minutes…” all the while knowing it’ll take much more longer than that. Gintoki kisses your temple as if in agreement, and the lull of his heartbeat gradually drifts you off to slumber. 

💙

💙